Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I've got a 95 with the 2.5 and my check engine light came on the other day and I read my voltage gauge and it was at battery voltage. So one would think, ok, the alternators bad, right?...wrong. I replaced it and still have the issue. I checked my fuses and both are popped. So I read the voltage on the fuse box terminals and I get 12 on the one side, and 37 on the other side...yes 37 volts. I did my harness resistance checks and found no open wires. I'm banking on the voltage regulators bad in the pcm...so I'd have to get the bypass kit, but I'm not sure on how to further diagnose it without just throwing parts at it. Anyone ever have this happen to them??

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Check the voltage at the battery terminals.......

Not sure HOW you are measuring 37VDC, but I would GUESS it is not a reliable reading.

Sometimes a reading of millivolts can be misinterpreted as volts....... on a digital meter.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
You are getting 37V with the engine on, yes? Which testing locations are you using?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Did you measure the Amperage coming out of the alternator? Is it putting out the proper range of Amps? Also, what is the Amperage draw on the battery side?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts