Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. i just got my first winch the other day. I noticed that the voltage drops to 9 when in use, i know thats normal if i dont have an upgraded alternator or dual batterys but i was wondering if there was a rebuild kit or something like that out there that will boost the stock alternators amp instead of buy a whole new unit. And if so how high of amps should i have? I've also heard of some kind of idle controle system that when you flip a switch it will keep your engines revs higher while you use high electrical equipment, kind of like they have in patrol cars or tow trucks, but for the life of me i cant remember what it was called. Any ideas?

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
I have heard that you can use a stock alternator from a Durango or some other vehicle that is a direct cross. Sorry I do not know more, but you could find it with a search.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard that you can use a stock alternator from a Durango or some other vehicle that is a direct cross. Sorry I do not know more, but you could find it with a search.

thanks for the help, i did do some research and found a 160amp alt from a durango for $25 at a salvage yard, it came out of a durango with 60,000 miles on it, my jeep has 89,900. so we'll see how it goes, wish me luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
thanks for the help, i did do some research and found a 160amp alt from a durango for $25 at a salvage yard, it came out of a durango with 60,000 miles on it, my jeep has 89,900. so we'll see how it goes, wish me luck

I'd be interested to know how it works out. I'm contenplating going to a larger alternator myself. Please let us know the details as in did it fit your brackets, wiring, etc. Thanks UR

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be interested to know how it works out. I'm contenplating going to a larger alternator myself. Please let us know the details as in did it fit your brackets, wiring, etc. Thanks UR
I will, planned on taking pics and posting them on here to see if it would help anybody else

1 - 6 of 6 Posts