Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input on what I should do for an alternator shield. I love takin my 98 tj out muddin but sometimes water will splash and and get the alternator wet, which sometimes will make my jeep shut off. Any ideas??

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Rayko is talking about replacing your stock radiator fan with an electric one that can be turned off whe the water gets to deep.

Not mounting a fan to blow stuff away from the alternator.

·
Registered
785 Posts
A cheaper route is to silicone your electrical ends on the Alternator. Its the method we use in the Military to "waterproof" the alternators and starters. The fan is a gear drive. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I need some input on what I should do for an alternator shield. I love takin my 98 tj out muddin but sometimes water will splash and and get the alternator wet, which sometimes will make my jeep shut off. Any ideas??
Is it the alt or something else? What have you done to restart it. There are lots of things (connectors/connections) if they get wet can cause the vehicle to shut off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it the alt or something else? What have you done to restart it. There are lots of things (connectors/connections) if they get wet can cause the vehicle to shut off.
I replaced the spark plugs last time. But I had to get a new radiator because the first one was old but my uncle found water in my alt. I figured that's why it wouldn't start

·
Registered
705 Posts
If your alternator gets wet, your Jeep should not "shut off." The battery still has plenty of power to run the ignition system for quite a while. I agree with Neil F. There must be something else getting wet. Did you take the boots off the spark plugs to see if any water got in there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your alternator gets wet, your Jeep should not "shut off." The battery still has plenty of power to run the ignition system for quite a while. I agree with Neil F. There must be something else getting wet. Did you take the boots off the spark plugs to see if any water got in there?
Yeah the spark plugs were kinda shot after I was done before I replaced them

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Alt getting wet, unless it is damaged is watertight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts