Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just today I had to opt out on the front stubby bumper I wanted with recessed winch mount. The problem I ran into was that most bumpers are made out of steel. I'm aware that steel is stronger than aluminum, but the reason I can't get a steel anything is because the area I live in. I live in a beach town in Florida and if you have steel, it will rust in a heartbeat.

Do any of you know an aluminum front bumpers with recessed winch mounts? Or just aluminum front bumpers?

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
451 Posts
You could also fit a winch inside the OEM bumper....? I remember people done that. Plastic doesn't rust...cut the ends of for to make it a stubby.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a reason why I'm getting a new bumper. The stock one is trash and I kinda got in an accident with it. For the most part of the accident, the bumper did it's job..so it's not trash for that factor. But also there's a piece of metal that will puncture the tire if fully flexed. I've bent it back for the most part until I get a new bumper. Either way, modding the stock one or not I plan to get a new front bumper

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have been holding out to see what ACE introduces for hte front since they just brought a rear to market. I just saw Rock Hard bring out a couple front and a rear aluminum bumpers. I think this is the direction I am now going in since these are available now. I am not a fan of the Rugged Ridge answer to front and rear aluminum bumpers myself.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the answers. I am currently at my jeep dealership and they solved my problem if I went with steel. As long as it gets painted, I will be safe from rust.....after all the whole jeep is practically steel that is painted. Just having a blonde moment

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thank you all for the answers. I am currently at my jeep dealership and they solved my problem if I went with steel. As long as it gets painted, I will be safe from rust.....after all the whole jeep is practically steel that is painted. Just having a blonde moment
My steel front and rear bumpers are doing just fine in Florida near the beach. I drive on the beach regularly and I don't have any issues so far.

Like everything else on the Jeep, make sure to rinse off well anytime after you're on the beach, or if you live close to the beach, just wash and rinse regularly. Also, touch up any places where you might remove the paint or powder coating from off-roading, etc.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You could pick up a used OEM front bumper really cheap and mod it if that is what you want to do to save $$$. Some people just practically give them away as they don't have a use for them. If you lived closer I would give you mine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could pick up a used OEM front bumper really cheap and mod it if that is what you want to do to save $$$. Some people just practically give them away as they don't have a use for them. If you lived closer I would give you mine.
Oh my! Ya if only:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My steel front and rear bumpers are doing just fine in Florida near the beach. I drive on the beach regularly and I don't have any issues so far. Like everything else on the Jeep, make sure to rinse off well anytime after you're on the beach, or if you live close to the beach, just wash and rinse regularly. Also, touch up any places where you might remove the paint or powder coating from off-roading, etc.
I do! I lifeguard on the beach in the summer for cash flow :D you betcha I'm rinsing it everyday

·
Registered
37 Posts
Savvy came out with an aluminum for and rear for the JK. After speaking with Aberle about their products they are currently not making any bumpers but are planning to be back in production. No official time frame.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Keep in mind that a majority of the rust you see on aftermarket products doesn't come from scratched or inferior paint, it comes from improper surface prep prior to paint. Your painted steel Jeep doesn't rust because of the way the metal is treated and prepped prior to paint.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keep in mind that a majority of the rust you see on aftermarket products doesn't come from scratched or inferior paint, it comes from improper surface prep prior to paint. Your painted steel Jeep doesn't rust because of the way the metal is treated and prepped prior to paint.
Yea and that's how all my steel aftermarket products will be prepped before installing. My family has a really good friend who has his own shop. Does absolutely anything mechanically to customization to paint and does a terrific job. But thanks for the in depth meaning for steel rusting

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yea and that's how all my steel aftermarket products will be prepped before installing. My family has a really good friend who has his own shop. Does absolutely anything mechanically to customization to paint and does a terrific job. But thanks for the in depth meaning for steel rusting
Glad to hear it. Most people don't take the time, effort, or expense to strip a brand new bumper and then repaint it, or have a shop they feel confident will properly prep steel products, especially those that start off a thread looking for an aluminum product because they are worried about rust.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts