Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the rigged Ridge aluminum hood latches last week and am very happy with the quality. I had the daystar latches for the last two years and those kept the hood sealed tight but not nearly as tight as these aluminum hood latches. Not to mention the factory plastic latches started to turn gray and sparkle like glitter. Anyway, the one thing I noticed is that the latches lock down pretty hard as they are heavier aluminum and they hit the hood pretty good when locking them down.

Even so I don't see any dent or damage and while I am aware of the issue If I don't remember to tell someone else who may work on it in the future I'm thinking it could be a problem.

Has anyone who has these latches install some kind of vinyl tape to pad the impact or should I not worry about it?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was actually thinking about buying a set of these. Subing as I might change my mind if this is a bigger issue.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Do you happen to have the 10A/Hard Rock hood? I have a Hard Rock and RR sent me an extra set of rubber spacers to help clear the hood.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ that dude.... Yes I do have a HR and a HR hood. So you're saying rugged Ridge sent you a double rubber spacer so that there is less impact with the latches when locked down?

·
Registered
700 Posts
@ that dude.... Yes I do have a HR and a HR hood. So you're saying rugged Ridge sent you a double rubber spacer so that there is less impact with the latches when locked down?
Yup. Just email RR. They'll ask for a pic of the latches and an order number from where ever you bought them. Then they'll mail you another set of gaskets. I got them in a few days.

I always had a very very slight clearance; I left the stock plastic "spacer" to have the slight clearance. Now I have plenty of clearance. They sent a thicker set and a thinner set. I stacked one thin and one thicker on each side. I removed the plastic spacer and the original set of gaskets that came with the latches.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you happen to have the 10A/Hard Rock hood? I have a Hard Rock and RR sent me an extra set of rubber spacers to help clear the hood.
Good info! Wish I knew this about a week ago. I installed a set of the RR latches and didn't like how it worked with the hood. I have the Altitude Power Dome hood so I guess it's a similar fit. I ended up returning them and getting the daystars.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge and they adjust. Mine clamp down with just enough to keep the hood down while not touching the paint. Had them for about two years now. I'm just glad the hood flutter is gone.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I had the daystar latches for the last two years and those kept the hood sealed tight but not nearly as tight as these aluminum hood latches.
That overly tight fit is because they're not adjusted. There's absolutely no need to have them tighter than the Daystars which are very tight even after 3 years on my rig.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just recently ran into this problem. There is an adjustment to allow you to adjust how much pressure is used to hold down the hood, that is the large threaded rod with the locking nuts on it, but the real problem is that the sheet metal on the HardRock/Recon hood has a deeper pocket where the Rugged Ridge hood catch bolts to the hood. The RR fender attachment is the same as it bolts to the fender, not the hood.
The original gasket that comes with the RR hood catch measures .057" and it allows the catch to contact the paint when you operate it. RR has a newer, thicker gasket that measures .156" thick and positions the catch farther away from the metal of the hood so that it has more clearance.
As that_dude posted, contact Rugged Ridge and request that they send you a set of the thicker gaskets. They will ask for proof of purchase and will send them to you for free. Here is there contact informtion:

Omix Support
[email protected]
(770) 614-6069

1 - 11 of 11 Posts