Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing a 2 row aluminum radiator in my 99' tj with the 4.0 and heard you can not run the regular green antifreeze as it will react wrong to the aluminum and that you have to run an orange color antifreeze that is designed for aluminum radiators?? I am just wondering if this is true before I install it

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Hrmm.. I had an all aluminum radiator in my Miata and I ran regular cheap green antifreeze/coolant and was fine. No weird reactions, always stayed cool, etc. Come to think of it, I put over 100k on the last Miata in 2 years after a radiator change and when I sold it I did a tune up (and radiator flush) and everything looked fine.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I am going to be installing a 2 row aluminum radiator in my 99' tj with the 4.0 and heard you can not run the regular green antifreeze as it will react wrong to the aluminum and that you have to run an orange color antifreeze that is designed for aluminum radiators?? I am just wondering if this is true before I install it

Thanks
Hrmm.. I had an all aluminum radiator in my Miata and I ran regular cheap green antifreeze/coolant and was fine. No weird reactions, always stayed cool, etc. Come to think of it, I put over 100k on the last Miata in 2 years after a radiator change and when I sold it I did a tune up (and radiator flush) and everything looked fine.
You don't have to use orange antifreeze in an aluminum radiator. However, the orange has much longer-lasting corrosion inhibitors, and can last for up to 5 years, while the green usually needs to be changed after 2 years.

Don't mix the green and orange, by the way. That will greatly lower your coolant's protective capabilities. If you've been running green in your Jeep, and want to switch to orange, make sure you get your system thoroughly flushed. I'd check first, though, to make sure the switch won't harm other parts of your Jeep that use the coolant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if it's green just stay with it as it doesn't look old at all but will flush it anyways and just replace with what was in there..

Thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks
Green is fine, be sure to use distilled water. Change it at 36,000 miles, or every 3 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts