Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So my factory radiator cracked right along the top of the plastic core after 180k miles. I decided to "upgrade" to an aluminum radiator i found on eBay. I wanted the extra cooling capacity due to the added heat load with the turbo and decided for $100 i couldn't go wrong. I received the radiator and i initially was impressed by the weld quality and it worked great for about a month and then began leaking. The leak got worse and worse until i pulled it out to find where the leak was coming from. Pressurized it and found it leaking where the rows enter the core on the bottom. (Not really fixable). A few heat cycles and this rad was junk. (Thanks China).

I have heard from a lot of people they had problems with aluminum radiators leaking after a while. Any recommendations? Looking at the Champion Cooling Systems radiator at the moment. Apparently a lifetime warranty. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke to champion on the phone and they advised me they do not warranty any product that has been off roaded? do to the flexing in the body pulling the radiator apart and causing leaks. They didn't sound very confident in there product and said that they see a lot of jeep radiators come back? I'm starting to lean towards going back to the stock radiator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hmm, seems to be about when they go. I just replaced mine at around 175k. Picked up an oem from all the recommendations on here and the fact that I think my aluminum on my other car is leaking... lol

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I spoke to champion on the phone and they advised me they do not warranty any product that has been off roaded? do to the flexing in the body pulling the radiator apart and causing leaks. They didn't sound very confident in there product and said that they see a lot of jeep radiators come back? I'm starting to lean towards going back to the stock radiator.
Stock Mopar is best. Our radiators don't get twisted and pulled apart from off road use.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,830 Posts
Stay with the OE Mopar radiator which has an all aluminum core. It has a better cooling reserve than pretty much all store or online brands like Champion whose reputation is not all that good. 180k for your OE Mopar radiator is testament to its quality and durability.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went with an OE replacement radiator. Its not a mopar rad but same design. They actually come with relief cuts on the outer supports probably to allow some flex without self destructing the radiator. Have 20,000 miles on it so far and no problems. Thanks guys

Anybody reading this thread wondering if they should upgrade, stick to the OEM design.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,830 Posts
OEM style is not OEM quality, i went through two autozone radiators in 18 months before going back to Mopar.
Exactly. The phase "OEM Replacement" fools most people into thinking they're getting what the factory installed. It doesn't mean that at all. It fits but that's it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
couple years ago, I replaced with a "Same as", radiator. In the middle of the Mojave Road, in 110 degrees, the entire top exploded, and I was a good 10 miles from the Kelbaker Road. Sooooo, as I was unceremoniously towed to Kelso Depot, ( Thank you friends !),and had AAA come get me. Taken to Barstow, and replaced with all NEW Mopar radiator, thermostat, hoses, and labor, I was now out over $500, and THAT was cheap. Use only OEM parts on your Jeep, and you can expect better quality

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just had to replace mine with 60,000 but it’s a 2010 JKUR. I used mopar and also changed out water pump with mopar and hoses and thermostat. Figured I’m right here my as well do it all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts