Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I would like to have an extra power source for charging cell phones or what not. I would like it to provide power even when the jeep is off. Any suggestions? Tie into an existing wire or get a fuse tap? If splicing in which wire? Thanks

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Try the search function of the forum. I found it in 2 minutes. The point being is that what is the point of the search function if people are too lazy to use it. Sorry, it had to be said. If, you try to search and can't find it, that is something else. But, there is a wealth of information when you search.

But, I wouldn't recommend adding a always on and having something plugged in when you start your vehicle. You are just asking for a surge to destroy your device. Plus, you risk ruining your battery. Just plug it in in your house. Why hack your vehicle to do something that obviously the manufacturer didn't think was safe for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The search box goes away when I try to type. Im using a tablet I'll try on a computer. When I'm camping my cell phone dies. I don't want to turn on the vehicle for a couple hours to change it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can just install it directly on the battery too. Easy enough.

Definitely use an inline fuse. And install it close to the battery.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Why hack your vehicle to do something that obviously the manufacturer didn't think was safe for obvious reasons.
If this was followed, then these forums would not need to exist...A good number of the posts in these forums are for lifts, new axles, lockers, interior mods, etc.

To give credence to the OP's request, many other vehicles do this. From the manufacturer, the cig adapter on my Suburban 2500 is always on, allowing for a cell phone to charge. Some devices can recognize the slight increase in voltage (~14v) when the car runs and will only operate then, such as a GPS, but a cell phone should still charge on 12v. I haven't killed my battery in the 13 years I've owned it, even though I've left the phone charge overnight.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If this was followed, then these forums would not need to exist...A good number of the posts in these forums are for lifts, new axles, lockers, interior mods, etc.

To give credence to the OP's request, many other vehicles do this. From the manufacturer, the cig adapter on my Suburban 2500 is always on, allowing for a cell phone to charge. Some devices can recognize the slight increase in voltage (~14v) when the car runs and will only operate then, such as a GPS, but a cell phone should still charge on 12v. I haven't killed my battery in the 13 years I've owned it, even though I've left the phone charge overnight.
I'm sure that you understand that modifying a vehicle "properly" and hacking it to do something it was not intended to do are two different things. Wranglers are intentionally off road vehicles. So lifts and suspension modifications are the norm. In fact, many Wranglers come stock with Off Road suspension modifications, such as the Rubicon. Lets not mix apples and oranges.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm sure that you understand that modifying a vehicle "properly" and hacking it to do something it was not intended to do are two different things. Wranglers are intentionally off road vehicles. So lifts and suspension modifications are the norm. In fact, many Wranglers come stock with Off Road suspension modifications, such as the Rubicon. Lets not mix apples and oranges.
My point is that simply adding a power outlet to a vehicle isn't a hack or void of legitimate use, regardless of a vehicle's original purpose. I've seen lifts and off-road modifications that are more grotesque, useless and risky than minor electrical modifications to suit someone's lifestyle.

To the OP, be mindful, listen to advice, and pursue what suits your needs.

Over and out.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Try the search function of the forum. I found it in 2 minutes. The point being is that what is the point of the search function if people are too lazy to use it. Sorry, it had to be said. If, you try to search and can't find it, that is something else. But, there is a wealth of information when you search.

But, I wouldn't recommend adding a always on and having something plugged in when you start your vehicle. You are just asking for a surge to destroy your device. Plus, you risk ruining your battery. Just plug it in in your house. Why hack your vehicle to do something that obviously the manufacturer didn't think was safe for obvious reasons.
If you look at the rules of the site, searching is not required and telling people to search takes more effort on your part than not replying at all.

Since you seem to be an electrical expert, can you explain how a 12v source with the alternator not running could cause a surge? Or how the fuse wouldn't pop before destroying whatever is plugged in?

This is hardly a "hack", one 12v outlet in my TJ came from the factory always powered with or without the key.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The search box goes away when I try to type. Im using a tablet I'll try on a computer.
I've found that the buggy behavior in the iPad WF app goes away when I restart the app (kill/relaunch) in portrait mode. Annoys me to use it that way so I only do so when I need to, e.g. to search or to log in.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
If you look at the rules of the site, searching is not required and telling people to search takes more effort on your part than not replying at all.

Since you seem to be an electrical expert, can you explain how a 12v source with the alternator not running could cause a surge? Or how the fuse wouldn't pop before destroying whatever is plugged in?

This is hardly a "hack", one 12v outlet in my TJ came from the factory always powered with or without the key.
Look, you can all jump on me all you want, I was just trying to help the OP, by telling him to search for it, and letting him know that I found it easily. If you expect everything in life to be handed to you, without effort, you are going to be in for a big surprise. The previous responder didn't even bother to say it, so that you wouldn't jump on him. The idea being,"if you give someone a fish, you feed them for a meal, but, if you teach someone to fish for themselves, you feed them for life."

We are trying to help you, not just this time, but for any problem that you may come across, and to teach you that you can find the answer, most of the time, by yourself.

Now, regarding the "hack", I've seen a lot of people complain terribly about how the PO hacked up their Wrangler. So, I am cautious about performing such hacks to the electrical system. If you want to hack up your Jeep, that is your choice. It normally isn't you who suffers the worst, its the next owner. Again, its my opinion and you can rip me for it if you want, but I'm entitled to it, and I am entitled to let the OP think about it.

If there is a good, safe way to perform the "modification", then that may be okay for some people. For me, it just wouldn't be worth it. I've had a lot of vehicles in my life. And for me, the most important and best resells go to original restorations. So, I've tried to keep my Wrangler as original as possible. I would never tear up my electrical system and put in something that wasn't there originally. But, that is just me.

Also, if I go camping, I am trying to get away from all the stresses of daily life, and get back to simple relaxation. Why would I want a cell phone ringing all the time? But, again, that's just me. When I go camping, I turn my cell phone off. It's like going camping and bringing a color TV set. What's the point? But, again, that's just me.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Also, sorry, but I never claimed to be an electrical expert, I was just giving you my experiences. I won't even go there about you putting words in my mouth. But, here is a little food for thought. When computers short out because of a surge, does the fuse at the circuit box protect it? The circuit box might protect the house from catching fire, but it rarely protected the computer. That is why most computers nowadays have surge protection power strips connected to them. I haven't seen such devices in our Jeeps, have you?

A lot of people use to think it was okay to leave their computers running 24/7. Now, because of "hopefully" experience, they know better. This is why I always shut down all devices when I turn off my Jeep. This includes my car stereo and HVAC system. I've seen a lot of people posting about malfunctioning electronic equipment in their Jeeps(Car Stereo and HVAC system), and they always say that they leave it on all the time, even when starting the Jeep. Then, they complain that sometimes their radios won't boot up properly when the battery is struggling to fire up the engine. How do you think your computer would boot up if you took away most of its power during boot up. I'm not a electrical expert, to me, its common sense. I could be wrong but so far the practices have saved my computers, car stereo's and overall electronic equipment. But, you can do it your way, and I'll do it mine. Maybe this is why I'm so cautious about messing with the electrical system and cutting wires on it. Maybe it is just me, I mean no offense, and I apologize if I sound defensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just shutting your computer down will not protect it from a power surge. I hope you unplug it every night as well.

I go camping and it is nice to get away...but my phone is also a great camera. We like to take pictures of things that we do, be it a walk through the woods or the sunset on the dock. Maybe he is camping in remote areas where nobody is...in an emergency he may need a phone.

I wouldn't consider somebody asking the proper way to do a mod hacking into his vehicle. An always on lighter in his jeep isn't going to screw anything up. You took plenty of time to do the search and find an answer, then give him crap for not searching...but you couldn't copy and paste the link to help him out... Would have been far less of an attacking post if you would have posted the link you found from the search and said something like I did a quick search and this is what I found that could help you. Nobody would have complained at all and the original poster would have thanked you and moved on.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Hey OP I did find this on how to modify the existing outlet, if you have a TJ. You replace the relay that controls whether or not its on with a heavy gauge jumper wire so the outlet always is hot and ready to power an accessory.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/cig...347.html#/forumsite/20561/topics/43347?page=1

If you actually want another outlet, I would wire it directly to the PDC after crimping/soldering ring terminals on the wires. Run the wires through the firewall and put wire loom around them to protect from rubbing. Finally solder the leads to the new outlet you bought and install where you want. I personally wouldn't splice into an existing wire so that's how I would do it.

If you're not comfortable running wire, soldering, and crimping, I'd try the relay mod and ask a friend to help.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Just shutting your computer down will not protect it from a power surge. I hope you unplug it every night as well.

I go camping and it is nice to get away...but my phone is also a great camera. We like to take pictures of things that we do, be it a walk through the woods or the sunset on the dock. Maybe he is camping in remote areas where nobody is...in an emergency he may need a phone.

I wouldn't consider somebody asking the proper way to do a mod hacking into his vehicle. An always on lighter in his jeep isn't going to screw anything up. You took plenty of time to do the search and find an answer, then give him crap for not searching...but you couldn't copy and paste the link to help him out... Would have been far less of an attacking post if you would have posted the link you found from the search and said something like I did a quick search and this is what I found that could help you. Nobody would have complained at all and the original poster would have thanked you and moved on.
So, you spent a full two paragraphs chastising me, but did you do a search to help him out? NO!

I already said why I didn't do it, so what's your excuse? You just preferred to bash someone instead, right?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hello I would like to have an extra power source for charging cell phones or what not. I would like it to provide power even when the jeep is off. Any suggestions? Tie into an existing wire or get a fuse tap? If splicing in which wire? Thanks
There are two dead-end wires tucked in the harness above the fuse box that is behind the glove box. One works off the ignition switch and the other is from the battery - both are fused. I went to O'Rielly's (like AutoZone, Pep Boys', etc.) and bought a cheap dual outlet for just that purpose and I wired up to the always hot wire. Both my Garmin 2797 GPS and my wife's cell phone are very happy in my Y2k TJ running off the $5 add-on outlets.

Happy Trails,
Bob

PS You are brand new and got caught in a flame war. Sorry - It's usually much nicer than that here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts