Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Wrangler jk, 4dr and i've purchased a TeraFlex leveling kit ,part number 1155200. I have phoned around for some installation quotes and most places estimated it at five hours plus alignment. Is that too long ?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
a leveling kit takes just about as long as a coil lift to install. If you have the ability to do it yourself then 5 hours is high. if on the other hand you do not have the ability to do it yourself 5 hours is not that out of line.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Look around, we have one joke of a 4x4 shop here in Cheyenne and they wanted $400-600 to install the TF 2.5 coil lift. I looked around and found the tires shop that we go through for the wife's Mustang. The do the lowering part of the business around town. And they were thrilled to do the Jeep. IIRC, it was $275 including the alignment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look around, we have one joke of a 4x4 shop here in Cheyenne and they wanted $400-600 to install the TF 2.5 coil lift. I looked around and found the tires shop that we go through for the wife's Mustang. The do the lowering part of the business around town. And they were thrilled to do the Jeep. IIRC, it was $275 including the alignment.
I've never done any lifts or leveling on any Jeep but I am mechanically inclined so I was thinking of doing it myself. I live in an apartment so I have no place to do the job but I can get access to a residential garage or carport and get a hold of a floor jack and some stands, I have the basic tools to do it. I 'd like to have an extra pair of hands just in case thought. The shop that I contacted is charging five hours at $110 per hour plus alignment so with taxes in it will be about 700$. That's way too much

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's crazy! They are probably quoting you that high because they aren't interested in the job, so hoping you walk away, and if not then they are being heavily compensated. honestly for a leveling kit I wouldn't pay more then $300-400 at most! and thats on the high side!

·
Registered
61 Posts
5 hours for a shop is insane. if you can find somewhere to do it yourself, i highly recommend it. prior to my installation of the TF leveling kit I had almost 0 mechanical experience. a good set of socket wrenches, floor jack, jack stands, and 2.5 hours was all it took. plus it familiarized me with the suspension components and future jobs I may want/need to be done. With that said, Id rather not have it on at all over paying a shop 5 hours to do it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Not sure if that kit had shocks or control arm brackets, but it's probably just a bit high. Especially as they have power tools and are meant to know what they are doing.

Lots of people say they can do it cheaper quicker but don't have the overheads of a shop.
No one worries about alignment other that lengthening the drag link. This is a 10min job not a $130 job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts