Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2016 Price Guide as my reference. I plan to stick to my guns at 5 percent below dealer cost plus destination, tax and title. That would still allow the dealer $1100 in hold back money according to my calculations (suggested retail price less 3 percent). Am I being realistic? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the 2016 Price Guide as my reference. I plan to stick to my guns at 5 percent below dealer cost plus destination, tax and title. That would still allow the dealer $1100 in hold back money according to my calculations (suggested retail price less 3 percent). Am I being realistic? Thanks.
are you looking at 5% off invoice or 5% off sticker?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah, big difference between sticker and invoice, if you want 5% off invoice your just being a dick, or you cant afford what your wanting to buy. I sold cars for 3 years at a desperate Toyota dealership, and we would usually sell at $200 over invoice, or if it was a bad month, at invoice.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah, big difference between sticker and invoice, if you want 5% off invoice your just being a dick, or you cant afford what your wanting to buy. I sold cars for 3 years at a desperate Toyota dealership, and we would usually sell at $200 over invoice, or if it was a bad month, at invoice.
I've seen advertisements on here for a dealership in Texas that will do 5.5% under invoice, no haggle.

To the OP, if that's the price you're willing to pay then go for it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've seen advertisements on here for a dealership in Texas that will do 5.5% under invoice, no haggle.

To the OP, if that's the price you're willing to pay then go for it.
Im sure their out there, but if its not your local dealership, how much are you willing to spend in travel costs to save a few hundred dollars?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Im sure their out there, but if its not your local dealership, how much are you willing to spend in travel costs to save a few hundred dollars?
For me, TX is not real close (about 1000 miles) but if I was inclined I could use airline points to get there and about $150 in gas to drive it home. Not much expense...

BUT, I was more referring to your comment calling the original poster a dick for wanting a deal equal to what plenty of other people on here are getting for new Wranglers.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It depends on your region and how bad the dealership needs the sale.

Around here, a lot of people get either EP or "friends/family" so dealerships don't have much incentive to discount jeeps for no reason if you don't qualify for any incentives.
It took me the effort to get a CDI number, which is basically EP pricing (invoice minus 5%), FCA pays the dealer I think 3% back of that. Knowing that they got money back from FCA on the CDI deal, I asked for the dealership to give up there holdback money. Quite surprisingly, I found at least four dealerships that were willing to do this, on a factory order unit. Two dealerships told me they could do that deal either instock unit or order, while the other two said only on factory orders.

Good luck!

·
Registered
788 Posts
For me, TX is not real close (about 1000 miles) but if I was inclined I could use airline points to get there and about $150 in gas to drive it home. Not much expense...

BUT, I was more referring to your comment calling the original poster a dick for wanting a deal equal to what plenty of other people on here are getting for new Wranglers.
OK, maybe dick wasn't an appropriate term, my apologies, meant no offense. But its unrealistic to go into a respectable dealer and expect under invoice. That being said his dealer could be a desperate dealer trying to move numbers...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
But its unrealistic to go into a respectable dealer and expect under invoice. That being said his dealer could be a desperate dealer trying to move numbers...
I disagree.

Invoice is not really dealer invoice, you got dealer hold back and kickbacks for meeting monthly/quartely quotas.

Long gone are the days that invoice represents what the dealer actually pays for the vehicle.
It's a shady game, the dealer shows you "invoice" but there is hidden profit that I just mentioned.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey tahoechase, do me a favor...next time you see a post by me don't bother to reply ok? I used to have to deal with people like you but now that I am retired, I feel no obligation to engage, your back peddling post not withstanding. I really have no interest in what you did at your Toyota dealership. I am buying a Jeep not a Corolla. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disagree.

Invoice is not really dealer invoice, you got dealer hold back and kickbacks for meeting monthly/quartely quotas.

Long gone are the days that invoice represents what the dealer actually pays for the vehicle.
It's a shady game, the dealer shows you "invoice" but there is hidden profit that I just mentioned.
+1. When I said 5 percent off dealer cost, I was referring to the factory wholesale price. I will have no trade-in and am not financing. 'Will pay in full. Thanks to all that provided helpful advice. :)

Dealer still gets his hold back money, approximately if I was told correctly, 3 percent off the suggested retail price of the vehicle. He is NOT losing money.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I will have no trade-in and am not financing. 'Will pay in full. Thanks to all that provided helpful advice. :)
If you want to help out the dealership a little bit, you can always have them find/set up a competitive interest rate for the financing and pay it off without penalty within a few months. Dealer gets some kind of retribution from the bank/lender that originates the loan.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Jeeps are really hot right now. I don't see a dealership selling for less then invoice. That's a loser to them, unless they pack the price with extras like paint sealer, nitrogen filled tires, lift kit etc. They are too easy to sell and usually wont drop their pants that easy. It's kinda the norm to be able to get $500 over invoice though.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Do you plan on financing or paying cash?
I am not too sure where you were going with that, but many times financing yields a better profit for the dealer due to any "kick back" they get from the bank for arranging the financing.

A deal with a better profit potential is always a more attractive lure.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want to help out the dealership a little bit, you can always have them find/set up a competitive interest rate for the financing and pay it off without penalty within a few months. Dealer gets some kind of retribution from the bank/lender that originates the loan.
I never thought of that. Thank you!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not sure about other states but in Ca, dealerships can bump the rate by 2.5% above the lender approved rate for the customer. One of the ways dealerships make money on financing. They used to be able to jack the rate up even more.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I never thought of that. Thank you!
You are welcome!
I have learned a lot from this forum in the last year and I am just trying to spread the knowledge!

Just make sure that you can pay it off early without penalty, I believe they all are by law, but just double check.

If you are placing a factory order, make sure you get in writing that your deposit is fully refundable, in case you can't take delivery for whatever reason.
This saved my $500 when I was somewhat forced to cancel my original factory order last year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts