Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after almost 3 years going from Sahara stock tires to 33s, then 35's on 3,21 gears I finally made the change to 4.56 gearing and TT in the back.

33's here in flat SFLA was fine and I saw no difference in acceleration. When I went to 35's I felt it. Idle moving was gone as was quick acceleration. Highway overpasses, hill and major headwinds really made my auto nanny shot down a lot. Was it as bad as everyone said? Well depending on what you heard, no and about right.

Now I am on 4.56 gears, I don't see this "Performance" gearing the famous Gear Chart shows. Yeah, if I really get on it, tires will chip (had to once but not long as I am breaking in the rear) and normal acceleration seems about the same. Maybe slightly smoother? Now hwy hills and wind is better, clearly.

I just don't see this magical difference yet. I have what i call "Princess and the Pea Syndrome," where I can notice very tiny changes in just about anything, LOL.

Am I happy, yeah think so. Will know more when I get off road. My idle speed seems much better and when tough gas, it will lurch further more.

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
Maybe it's your interpretation of "Performance"?
If you're interpreting it as that of a sports car and you'll have great acceleration after the gear change, that's not the correct interpretation. "Performance" means exactly what you described, the Jeep now behaves as it should on highways and hills and no longer shifts down excessively. "Performance" is also related to crawl ratio and off road "Performance". You'll have increased control of your Jeep on hills and steep obstacles.

So IMO if acceleration is what you're after then you picked the wrong mod, a LS or Hemi swap is what you need :D Preferably with a supercharger. LOL

And please be gentle with it on these break in heat cycles.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I can’t diagnose your mental health. If you had a 6-spd the difference would be night-and-day. If you have an AT maybe it’s not shifting properly. Either way I recommend a HIKEit throttle controller.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it's your interpretation of "Performance"?

If you're interpreting it as that of a sports car and you'll have great acceleration after the gear change, that's not the correct interpretation. "Performance" means exactly what you described, the Jeep now behaves as it should on highways and hills and no longer shifts down excessively. "Performance" is also related to crawl ratio and off road "Performance". You'll have increased control of your Jeep on hills and steep obstacles.

So IMO if acceleration is what you're after then you picked the wrong mod, a LS or Hemi swap is what you need :D Preferably with a supercharger. LOL

And please be gentle with it on these break in heat cycles.

Ok, thanks and figured. But you hear people say night and day, much faster acceleration etc.
Not as fast off the line as a stock Sahara but I am a lot heavier now. Happy with it and overall much smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can’t diagnose your mental health. If you had a 6-spd the difference would be night-and-day. If you have an AT maybe it’s not shifting properly. Either way I recommend a HIKEit throttle controller.

LOL, thanks. I have an AT and Pedal Commander.
Guess from so many threads here, it would be a lot faster in accelerating (easier). But like I said, hill, ramps, over passes are better. Yeah doing 80mph RPMs in the 2700-2800 range. But rarely travel that fast.

Again from posts here, I expected more.
Why I posted my thoughts as well to help others.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Did you reprogram for the tires and the gears? If tire size was true before 32 and now 35, you in effect have a 4:18 or so ratio. That should be decent performance on the road. Unless you have some really heavy tire/wheel combo, or the rig is a fat pig. In that case it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you reprogram for the tires and the gears? If tire size was true before 32 and now 35, you in effect have a 4:18 or so ratio. That should be decent performance on the road. Unless you have some really heavy tire/wheel combo, or the rig is a fat pig. In that case it is what it is.

Tires programmed a while back.
Measure tires again about 34.4
Toyo R/Ts and heavy around 70lbs. Each wheel weighs around 102lbs.
PS Bumpers too.

Checked gears ratio and its set at 4.56. I assume heavier wheels and bumpers keeps overall power down of the line.
Again feels great on hills, overpasses and can’t wait to hit the trails. Guess on a light, stock jeep it would be better

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually reading the gear chart, 34" is Performance and 35" is acceptable. Guess tires measuring in between I am in between.
Main thing, OD is back and usable and crawling will be better. Can still chirp the tires those, LOL. Could on 3.21 sometimes.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Actually reading the gear chart, 34" is Performance and 35" is acceptable. Guess tires measuring in between I am in between.
Main thing, OD is back and usable and crawling will be better. Can still chirp the tires those, LOL. Could on 3.21 sometimes.
Well like it was said, it's a jeep...... I have a camaro and the wife's M BMW for highway cruising, but the jeep is my preferred go to. I'm getting old and rarely in a hurry now a days.........:) Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Tires programmed a while back.
Measure tires again about 34.4
Toyo R/Ts and heavy around 70lbs. Each wheel weighs around 102lbs.
PS Bumpers too.

Checked gears ratio and its set at 4.56. I assume heavier wheels and bumpers keeps overall power down of the line.
Again feels great on hills, overpasses and can’t wait to hit the trails. Guess on a light, stock jeep it would be better

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
So after almost 3 years going from Sahara stock tires to 33s, then 35's on 3,21 gears I finally made the change to 4.56 gearing and TT in the back.

33's here in flat SFLA was fine and I saw no difference in acceleration. When I went to 35's I felt it. Idle moving was gone as was quick acceleration. Highway overpasses, hill and major headwinds really made my auto nanny shot down a lot. Was it as bad as everyone said? Well depending on what you heard, no and about right.

Now I am on 4.56 gears, I don't see this "Performance" gearing the famous Gear Chart shows. Yeah, if I really get on it, tires will chip (had to once but not long as I am breaking in the rear) and normal acceleration seems about the same. Maybe slightly smoother? Now hwy hills and wind is better, clearly.

I just don't see this magical difference yet. I have what i call "Princess and the Pea Syndrome," where I can notice very tiny changes in just about anything, LOL.

Am I happy, yeah think so. Will know more when I get off road. My idle speed seems much better and when tough gas, it will lurch further more.
I for one understand what you're saying. For some reason a lot of folks put too much emphasis on gears. Yes, using a gear ratio that closely matches the changes we make to these things helps to balance performance but it isn't the do all end all necessity some make it out to be. I've done more than my share of gear changes over the years and understand what it's all about but just don't see the necessity that some seem to feel. BTW I'm on 37s with 4.10 gears right now and yes shorter gears would be favorable but the advantage I would gain just isn't worth the trouble. Of course the 4 to 1 transfer case is a huge advantage with my setup.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Since we're talking gears and performance I have a ???

Tires 315-70-17, auto trans and 3.73's. I calculate my RPM's at 70 to be the same with my 3.73's in 4th (1:1) as they would be with 4.56's in 5th. Question is, would my freeway performance be better with the 4.56's in 5th than it is with my 3.73's in 4th. Remember that with 4th there is no gears in use as it is 1:1 so possibly less heat buildup. Off the line, 4.56 should be better.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I for one understand what you're saying. For some reason a lot of folks put too much emphasis on gears. Yes, using a gear ratio that closely matches the changes we make to these things helps to balance performance but it isn't the do all end all necessity some make it out to be. I've done more than my share of gear changes over the years and understand what it's all about but just don't see the necessity that some seem to feel. BTW I'm on 37s with 4.10 gears right now and yes shorter gears would be favorable but the advantage I would gain just isn't worth the trouble. Of course the 4 to 1 transfer case is a huge advantage with my setup.
I disagree. In my case, I bought my Jeep with 2.5" AEV lift, 35's and 3.73s. I had to slip my clutch to go slow enough to crawl obstacles in Hurricane and Moab UT. While I made it home I did not have much clutch pad left and I destroy my TO bearing. Did the same obstacles in Moab a year later with new clutch and 4.56's. No issues. If someone is not using their rig off-road they may be able to get by with not being geared properly. My Jeep is more drive-able both on and off-road. No, my jeep still does not perform like my BMW on-road. My BMW will not perform like my jeep off-road either though.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I disagree. In my case, I bought my Jeep with 2.5" AEV lift, 35's and 3.73s. I had to slip my clutch to go slow enough to crawl obstacles in Hurricane and Moab UT. While I made it home I did not have much clutch pad left and I destroy my TO bearing. Did the same obstacles in Moab a year later with new clutch and 4.56's. No issues. If someone is not using their rig off-road they may be able to get by with not being geared properly. My Jeep is more drive-able both on and off-road. No, my jeep still does not perform like my BMW on-road. My BMW will not perform like my jeep off-road either though.
One of the advantages of an automatic.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
Since we're talking gears and performance I have a ???

Tires 315-70-17, auto trans and 3.73's. I calculate my RPM's at 70 to be the same with my 3.73's in 4th (1:1) as they would be with 4.56's in 5th. Question is, would my freeway performance be better with the 4.56's in 5th than it is with my 3.73's in 4th. Remember that with 4th there is no gears in use as it is 1:1 so possibly less heat buildup. Off the line, 4.56 should be better.
All gears are in mesh at all times on any modern transmission be it an auto or manual transmission. What gear in a manual transmission or gears in an auto are driving the output shaft depend on the gear selected.

And just like an engine the higher the load on it the hotter it will get. If are in 5th gear running at 80% load on the tranny shifting to 4th gear and reducing the load by 30% and will result in a drop of tranny temp. This is why with trucks in tow haul mode lockout OD in most cases.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
@DIRT BOY you are experiencing what I cal the auto syndrome. Everyone has this and the only time we start to question engine power/tranny/gears is at the extremes. If you where racing you would see a drop in your 1/4 mile time. If you are towing you would find it is much easier to get the load moving. If you really pay attention then you are probably finding you are in OD at a much lower speed than before.

But in just everyday day normal driving it is hard to see the difference. Once you have it broke in you will most likely see more advantages, like passing, it will happen much faster. Give it time and you notice the improvements.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@DIRT BOY you are experiencing what I cal the auto syndrome. Everyone has this and the only time we start to question engine power/tranny/gears is at the extremes. If you where racing you would see a drop in your 1/4 mile time. If you are towing you would find it is much easier to get the load moving. If you really pay attention then you are probably finding you are in OD at a much lower speed than before.

But in just everyday day normal driving it is hard to see the difference. Once you have it broke in you will most likely see more advantages, like passing, it will happen much faster. Give it time and you notice the improvements.

Thanks. Makes sense and if I think is bike gears terms, its makes sense and easier to understand. Races cars few times too, but never learned mech side

1 - 20 of 94 Posts