Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or not, and wanted to reach out to my fellow jeepers. I have a 2010 2 door with a 6spd and about 95,000 miles. Recently I've been noticing (or paying more attention to) the throttle. Some symptoms I've been having is a weird engine hesitation between 1500 and 2000 rpm when accelerating with very light throttle. Additionally, it seems the Jeep no longer likes to cruise at the RPMs/speed I'm used to. For example, previously when driving around the city I could have the jeep in 4th gear and cruise around at 60 km/h at 1500-1600 rpm. Now, it seems with hardly any throttle (I mean the lightest pressure on the pedal) the jeep will not stay at 60 km/h in 4th and wants to cruise at 1800-2000 rpm and closer to 70km/h. If I can get as little throttle pressure as possible, I can sometimes keep it at that speed, but it seems like the engine then hesitates. Even accelerating requires hardly any throttle. The weirdest thing is simply the lack of throttle pressure it requires to maintain speed. I have had no CELs or throttle warning lights on my dash, and have done the "throttle calibration" steps a few times, and even disconnected the battery but the issue remains. The only thing to note is about a month ago, I had the traction control system go all weird on me and activating for no reason for a minute or so and had no problems after I pulled over and restarted the jeep. My question for everyone is, has anyone else experienced this, and what should I (or my mechanic) even look for going forward? Am I experiencing an electronic TPS issue, or something more mechanical? Any help or guidance is appreciated!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
The computer learns your driving habits. You can remove the battery cables for 10 minutes and let it all reset. Touching the two battery cables together once they are off the battery will discharge the capacitors and reset the computers. If that doesn’t work you may need to clean the throttle body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
844 Posts
Do you have cruise control? Does it work?

I had a Grand Cherokee with a bad Throttle Position Sensor. The only symptoms I had for 2 years before it completely failed was no cruise control and a slight stutter every once in a while.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The computer learns your driving habits. You can remove the battery cables for 10 minutes and let it all reset. Touching the two battery cables together once they are off the battery will discharge the capacitors and reset the computers. If that doesn’t work you may need to clean the throttle body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Both have been done. I noticed better power after cleaning the TB, and the overall feel of the throttle has improved each day I drive after disconnecting the battery. There are still some instances where the throttle acts odd. Will keep enjoying the ride and if it gets worse I'll hope for a CEL or have my mechanic take a look.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have cruise control? Does it work?

I had a Grand Cherokee with a bad Throttle Position Sensor. The only symptoms I had for 2 years before it completely failed was no cruise control and a slight stutter every once in a while.
Cruise control works. I randomly came across a post on Reddit where a member was explaining that the only trouble they've had with the 3.8L is recently the throttle started acting up, and finally threw a code and they replaced the TB which seemed to resolve the issues. The symptoms they experienced are very similar to what I am encountering, so will keep an eye on things going forward. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I also have a 6sp however on a '13 3.6. I for-sure notice a 'flat-spot' right around 1900 rpm where if i'm gradually accelerating I feel a moments pause almost right around 1900. I'm not sure if PO had a long commute and constantly cruised at 1900? would that even do anything?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts