Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had my JKU for a little over 2 years now (Jan. 2012). Thinking of trading it for a 2014 JK Rubicon. Yes that's right, 4 to 2 door. I've only had rear passengers like 3 times, the rest has been the dog in the back and once some long 2x4's when I was building a hard top dolly. Thinking of trading in my JKU Sport with S package, Infinity + bluetooth, tow package, 3.73's, m/t, Ace rails, MC 2.5" lift, 265/70/17 Duratracs on stock wheels, hard top. I'd be going to a JK Rubi with half doors, m/t, bluetooth, and tow package. Or maybe full doors but soft top. Something in the low 30's (before TL discount) in a Rubi basically. I'm around 3-4K on top of my current loan depending on if you can believe KBB and Nada which is awesome.

I'm just thinking I'm nuts for trading a 2 year old vehicle. I think the shortest I ever traded before was after 4 years, usually about 5. I actually do plan to stop at a dealer on Saturday just to see what I think in person about half doors, but I'm thinking of taking an affiliate code printout with me "just in case" and maybe even grab a loan pre-approval from my credit union lol.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Seeing as you're going for a Rubicon, you probably wouldn't be happy if you don't get the Rubicon. As long as you can pay your bills and comfortably afford the trade. Who are we to stop you from seeking happiness?

I don't think you're crazy. The only thing I wouldn't get are the half doors.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I don't think your crazy. It would be cheaper for me to move up to a Rubicon than mod my Jeep. But my wife is not on board with that. I would definitely miss the Black Forest Green. It was the color I wanted and I got the last one in CA in the summer of 2012. I hear there is a new green coming out in 2015. Whatever you do, Good luck!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL that's the great thing is depending on the final price, and interest rate, and trade value, I could be paying up to $50 or more less per month for a MORE expensive vehicle. Yeah I think the only thing I lose over the JKU as far as upgrades/equipment that I have now is the CB I just installed, which I can quickly remove if needed, the extra protection of the ACE rails (since they stick out vs. the Rubi rails), and the 2.5" of lift. Yet I'll gain the 4:1 TC and 4.10 gears and lockers which would cost a lot of $$$ I don't have on hand and will probably be slow & go over a few years to upgrade to. The lower monthly payment is a huge temptation too.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, things just got crazy. I just double checked the "specials" section of the dealer I was looking at. They're offering 4700 off all 2 door Wranglers through the 31st. That's below the 1% below invoice TL discount I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So, I've had my JKU for a little over 2 years now (Jan. 2012). Thinking of trading it for a 2014 JK Rubicon. Yes that's right, 4 to 2 door. I've only had rear passengers like 3 times, the rest has been the dog in the back and once some long 2x4's when I was building a hard top dolly. Thinking of trading in my JKU Sport with S package, Infinity + bluetooth, tow package, 3.73's, m/t, Ace rails, MC 2.5" lift, 265/70/17 Duratracs on stock wheels, hard top. I'd be going to a JK Rubi with half doors, m/t, bluetooth, and tow package. Or maybe full doors but soft top. Something in the low 30's (before TL discount) in a Rubi basically. I'm around 3-4K on top of my current loan depending on if you can believe KBB and Nada which is awesome.

I'm just thinking I'm nuts for trading a 2 year old vehicle. I think the shortest I ever traded before was after 4 years, usually about 5. I actually do plan to stop at a dealer on Saturday just to see what I think in person about half doors, but I'm thinking of taking an affiliate code printout with me "just in case" and maybe even grab a loan pre-approval from my credit union lol.
I did the same thing a year ago. I had a 2011 JKU. Had done some mods. I always, always wanted the 2 door, though, plus I am petite and the roof on the 4 door was challenging enough for me to inhibit using it as much as I wanted to. So, in 2013 I trading in my JKU for a 2013 2 door Rubi in white. Best thing I ever did. The new premium roofs are SO worth it. They have an elbow in the sunrider section that allows you to put it back so much easier. It needs less clearance to go back, too. I park in a garage at work and used to have to pull out first, then pull over, just to put the sun rider back. It is easier to take all the way back, too. Quieter, as well, as it is lined (black) on the inside.

I have NOT missed the back seat room. I keep the seat folded up in the back in case I have passengers for it. There is not much room, when it is down, for storage, but I don't need it down very much at all.

The Rubi comes with awesome wheels and tires, too, and I was able to upgrade to a NAV that has traffic on it (use it all the time!).

Had I known how much I would want half doors, I would have gotten both instead of just my full doors. FYI. Cheaper when you buy it like that.

I had the dual roofs with my JKU. Switching them was a real pain for me (again, I am petite). I needed both my brothers to help so I sold that on the forum (easily), before trading in for my Rubi. Then I just got the soft premium top. I was a little concerned about having that on through snow in winter (worried about the weight of a heavy snow storm), but we just had the worst winter EVER and it did just fine. I just made sure I went out and cleared it some if the amount of snow was getting ridiculous. I would never go back to a hard top swap routine. I also do not miss my back wiper.

If I were you, I would go for it. You won't be able to stop thinking about it until you do anyway.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Your not crazy, just practical:hide:. You may want to try and sell the ACE sliders, unfortunately you loose out on the MC 2.5" lift. I went with a 2dr Rubi with half doors. I have two dogs, a German Shepard and a Golden Retriever. Took the back seat out, put in some cargo straps and they love it. I say go for it:angel: A pick to wet your whistle.

Attachments

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
X2 on selling the ACE rails and recovering some mod money! I'd sell the Rubi rails, too, if you have them.

Can never go wrong with a mod fund from the start! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You're not crazy at all!!! I traded a TJ Sport (first jeep) in less a month and got a TJ Rubicon instead!! You will never regret it. I now have a JK Rubicon and I'm totally inlove! I didn't think I would love again after my spouse haha sssshhh. In a serious note, as long as you're good financially why not?! It's MEMORIAL WEEKEND lots of sale going on!!!!! I got mine for 33k with military discount :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, looks like it's probably not going to happen right at this moment. I've been checking a lot of dealer sites and nothing in stock that I'm totally happy with. Also the wife suggested "how about next year" and to be honest she's probably right on that lol. The other thing is it hinges on getting a really good trade value. KBB and Nada are putting it about 3500-4K over what I owe on the loan. Edmunds is putting it at like 1K if that. Who knows where the dealer will come in. If it's not on the higher end, the bonus much lower monthly payment will totally evaporate.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You're not crazy at all!!! I traded a TJ Sport (first jeep) in less a month and got a TJ Rubicon instead!! You will never regret it. I now have a JK Rubicon and I'm totally inlove! I didn't think I would love again after my spouse haha sssshhh. In a serious note, as long as you're good financially why not?! It's MEMORIAL WEEKEND lots of sale going on!!!!! I got mine for 33k with military discount :)
I would never get tired of looking at that beast! Love the clean look and the stance.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I went the other way and traded my 2012 JKR for a 2014 JKUR. You may prefer the nimble nature of the JK. Make sure you drive one first. my girl and I just have a small dog but prefer the room and better ride of the JKUR....especially when lifted. It is not ridiculously nimble though. The JK's short wheelbase makes it toylike to turn.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing and I don't consider myself crazy. Well, maybe once or twice, but not this time. :doh:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If you don't use the extra seating area, why not?
I personally wouldn't buy a JKU, but I see why people with kids do.

I took my back seat out and got a cargo liner. All the space I need.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think it's crazy. It's your vehicle and even though writing the check sucks it's easier when it's what you want. I looked at both and with my dog, girl plus gear for 2 others camping the JKUR made sense. Just like I looked at my use look at yours as well.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think it's crazy. It's your vehicle and even though writing the check sucks it's easier when it's what you want. I looked at both and with my dog, girl plus gear for 2 others camping the JKUR made sense. Just like I looked at my use look at yours as well.
Yeah the more I think about it the more the extra room makes sense still. I may not be using it for passengers but for wheeling trips with the guys I wheel with we're doing a lot more camping on them. The room could be useful even if I just have front seat passenger, dog in the back seat, and gear in the rest.

I'm thinking what I need to do is hold off a year like my wife is suggesting, and maybe just look into a JKUR at that point. I'd have the room and a Rubicon instead of one or the other. Bonus is I could just remove the Ace rails and bolt them right up to the new Jeep.

I will probably continue to do a few mods to the current one but will make sure to keep any OEM parts I remove now so I can move the aftermarket stuff to the new one. I could move the lift if I hadn't sold off the front trackbar and front upper CA's because I haven't managed to get rid of the springs & shocks yet and I still have the stock front brake lines and swaybar links in a bag. Oh well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts