Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Wrangler Sport. It's maybe my imagination but I feel that the starter is slower cranking than in the past. OEM battery, vehicle produced December 2011.

Battery was load tested twice, both different places. Both tested good, first one at AutoZone, second one at a different parts store, they used a Midtronics tester with a paper printout.

Second one shows CCA at 480. Battery factory rated at 600 CCA. So there is first red flag.

Both people that tested the battery said that the tester indicates that the battery needs to be charged. Ok, first one from startup to the test was about ten miles, second one from startup to test about three miles. No battery light on in cluster,no flareup in lighting when RPM's brought up and no SES light on.

I'm just thinking the battery is on it's final hurrah and to just replace it but the charging thing makes me wonder if I have an alternator problem beginning. Don't want to be stranded on the road later this month, day trip planned up north or later this winter when the weather gets worse.

Opinions?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Replace it now before you are stranded.

I'm kind of lucky because my Jeep, that runs a Jeep and a GM ECM with my LS3, gives me a good warning when the battery is getting marginal - I'll get a PRNDL error at startup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the charging system is more the question. Do I need to dig deeper in addition to the battery replacement. The question is more why the Midtronics tester says that I need to recharge the battery. I would have thought that the battery should have been fully charged by the time it was driven ten miles unless it was dead to the point that it would not start.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check the voltage across the battery posts running. Around 14 volts call it good. The alternator could be sending the voltage and the battery won't store it. JKU batteries can crap out all at once weird symptoms, no start, dash lights flash etc...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
2012 Wrangler Sport. It's maybe my imagination but I feel that the starter is slower cranking than in the past. OEM battery, vehicle produced December 2011.

Battery was load tested twice, both different places. Both tested good, first one at AutoZone, second one at a different parts store, they used a Midtronics tester with a paper printout.

Second one shows CCA at 480. Battery factory rated at 600 CCA. So there is first red flag.

Both people that tested the battery said that the tester indicates that the battery needs to be charged. Ok, first one from startup to the test was about ten miles, second one from startup to test about three miles. No battery light on in cluster,no flareup in lighting when RPM's brought up and no SES light on.

I'm just thinking the battery is on it's final hurrah and to just replace it but the charging thing makes me wonder if I have an alternator problem beginning. Don't want to be stranded on the road later this month, day trip planned up north or later this winter when the weather gets worse.

Opinions?
About the first chilly morning you are probably going to be walking to the parts store orWalmart to get a new battery. Your battery is talking to you already.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
The light in the cluster is not a battery light even though it has a battery image. It indicates when the alternator is not charging.

An OEM battery still in a Jeep after 8 years? That is a unicorn. Many don't last past 2 years. If you have a digital multimeter, you can check the voltage across the battery terminals when the engine is running. It should be in the neighborhood of 14+ volts. If it is less than 13.8 than I would be concerned.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Bring your Jeep to an auto parts store and they can test your charging system if you suspect the alternator. But I would definitely replace that battery now, like today. An 8 year old battery is ancient. I have a 2013 JKU and I am on my 4th battery. Oh, Duralast Gold batteries from Autozone suck. My stock battery died after less than 2 years on a Sunday afternoon and the only store near me was Autozone. That first replacement battery lasted about 1 year and it was replaced for free. The next battery just recently died after 2 years. It was still under the 5 year prorated warranty so I was a little cheaper than full price. I will will not get another Duralast Gold battery as they just do not last.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I;ll check the voltage with it running before Friday, we have a cold snap this weekend. I was going to pick up a new battery tonight at Wal-Mart, I like their Maxx batteries. I know past performance is no gauge of today's performance but I just replaced the one in my 67 Pontiac that I put in May of 2010. In August of 2010 I put one in my Sierra, the one my daughter got. She traded it in late summer of 2017, it was still good at that point even though the truck was slowly rusting away.

I kind of procrastinated on replacing this battery, so far this year one in the Liberty. one in the Pontiac and both motorcycles needed them. The bikes and the Pontiac all have Battery Tenders on them, the one Harley's battery was installed May 2011 so not bad either. So five batteries in one year equal OUCH!

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
I kind of procrastinated on replacing this battery, so far this year one in the Liberty. one in the Pontiac and both motorcycles needed them. The bikes and the Pontiac all have Battery Tenders on them, the one Harley's battery was installed May 2011 so not bad either. So five batteries in one year equal OUCH!

Sounds like my year of the battery. Two in the Ram 2500, one in the JD tractor, one in the lawn mower and three in the golf cart. The only thing on the property with wheels that did not get at least one new battery was my Chrysler mini-van. Thankfully that was several years ago.

·
Commercial Member
7,140 Posts
Everytime that I've started to"worry" about a battery but decided to leave it, it's left me stranded a month or two later.
With the work truck, my rule is when I hit 100k it gets a fresh one. Usually around 3 years.

The diehard Platinum AGM I put in my Jeep is around 6-7 years old still going strong. It will be a sad day when I need to retire it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Bring your Jeep to an auto parts store and they can test your charging system if you suspect the alternator. But I would definitely replace that battery now, like today. An 8 year old battery is ancient. I have a 2013 JKU and I am on my 4th battery. Oh, Duralast Gold batteries from Autozone suck. My stock battery died after less than 2 years on a Sunday afternoon and the only store near me was Autozone. That first replacement battery lasted about 1 year and it was replaced for free. The next battery just recently died after 2 years. It was still under the 5 year prorated warranty so I was a little cheaper than full price. I will will not get another Duralast Gold battery as they just do not last.
interesting, not sure if your just getting that odd ball battery, or if I am just a rare unicorn here, but I have ran duralast in every vehicle I own, F150, the F250, and my jeep, and my F250 has two of them, only exception is my Mustang which I never got around to replacing as I bought it with a newly replaced battery in it already and that IIRC was a ACDelco battery....

and my F150 battery lasted about 4 years, when I switched it to the Optima red top (which I regret getting rid of as I had that battery for longer then 5 years), and my F250 is still going good at 2 years (I replaced the old motorcraft batteries that were in it with the Duralast golds) and my Jeep I bought that with a "newish" looking Duralast gold, and I do test it every 6 months and occasionally put it on my at home battery charger/maintainer to ensure it keeps a good charge....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts