Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Need to tap into the collective's experience. My 2010 JK has had 275/65x10 tires (Goodyear DuraTrac's with a load range "E" rating) fitted to aftermarket rims with what I am guessing has a bit more backspacing (around 4.5" or around 1.5" variance from stock) and maybe slightly wider than stock. These were fitted by the previous owner. The look very nice indeed and I'm pleased to have the DuroTrac's but getting the tire pressure right is challenging. The PO was running 51psi ("that what it says on the tire...") which is horrible. The chalk test doesn't work too well (I've tried it) but though trial and error I seemed to have settled at 31psi. Which promptly set off the TPMS light on cold mornings:banghead:. So a ProCal took care of THAT issue, but am I even in the right ballpark for that given size tire? Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated! Attached is a pic of the Jeep...

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm running about 28-30 psi which is decent but could probably even go a but lower to 23-25 on my 34x10.50x17s which are also E rated. The E rating is a really heavy tire with thick sidewalls and is designed for like a 3/4 ton truck or something. I personally wouldn't run more than about 30psi in them on a Jeep so you're in the ballpark but if it still feels stiff or handling is a bit off then try a little lower

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Hi All!

Need to tap into the collective's experience. My 2010 JK has had 275/65x10 tires (Goodyear DuraTrac's with a load range "E" rating) fitted to aftermarket rims with what I am guessing has a bit more backspacing (around 4.5" or around 1.5" variance from stock) and maybe slightly wider than stock. These were fitted by the previous owner. The look very nice indeed and I'm pleased to have the DuroTrac's but getting the tire pressure right is challenging. The PO was running 51psi ("that what it says on the tire...") which is horrible. The chalk test doesn't work too well (I've tried it) but though trial and error I seemed to have settled at 31psi. Which promptly set off the TPMS light on cold mornings:banghead:. So a ProCal took care of THAT issue, but am I even in the right ballpark for that given size tire? Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated! Attached is a pic of the Jeep...

You are bang on for a 275. 30-31 cold is where it should be so apparently your chalk test worked.

Rule of Thumb :
255. 34-35psi
265. 32–33psi
275. 30-31psi
285 29-30psi
295. 28-29psi
305. 27-28psi
315. 26-27psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ideal tire pressure

While there are guidelines as to what tire pressure to run. there are a lot of variables to consider, such as the vehicle weight changes with addition of accessories (and as we know few jeeps are exactly the same), sidewall stiffness, ratio of tire width vs height, cold tires vs warm tires, etc., etc..

To get the ideal pressure for YOUR vehicle, simply do a chalk test.
(1) Pick up some chalk from most any store that carries child toys.
(2) Chalk a 6" or so section of each tire completely across the tread, then
(3) drive a short distance (usually a couple hundred feet will do).
(4) examine the chalk marks on the tires. If the chalk is lighter toward the edges of the tire the tire pressure is too low. If the chalk is worn more in the center then the tire pressure is too high.
(5) adjust the pressure accordingly and redo chalk test until even wear is observed. That will be your ideal tire pressure.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ideal tire pressure

Sorry, just noticed you had already done a chalk test.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

1 - 7 of 7 Posts