Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered new 33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs and Ion Alloy wheels. Tire weighs 49lbs and the wheel weighs 19lbs. Total weight being 68lbs. Is it safe to hang that amount of weight on the tailgate?

There are several adapters and mounting plates available to accommodate the bigger size but I'm wondering if the weight is okay on the tailgate. I don't want to shell out for a new bumper with a tire carrier.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had to get one that raises the tire up, can't remember the brand, so it wouldn't hit the bumper. I have had my 33 on there for a year+ and have not had any issues. I have read quite a bit on the forum and have seen some that are adamant that the weight is a factor with others saying the weight is fine so long as it is "tight". I don't have the money to get a quality swing away, but am looking at the Warn option. The swing away will require a new bumper for me as the PO installed a chrome rear bumper.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I've been running a 33" tire for over 8 years now without issue. The key is to make sure that your tire is tight and snug against the rear gate and resting on the gate rubber snubbers. If this is not the case, then the tire and carrier will be subject to excessive vibrations and jarring. After time, the material on the hinge will begin to fatigue and your gate will gain some vertical play and droop. I have also taken the precaution of having a support mounted on my receiver…

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been running a 33" tire for over 8 years now without issue. The key is to make sure that your tire is tight and snug against the rear gate and resting on the gate rubber snubbers. If this is not the case, then the tire and carrier will be subject to excessive vibrations and jarring. After time, the material on the hinge will begin to fatigue and your gate will gain some vertical play and droop. I have also taken the precaution of having a support mounted on my receiver…

Thanks! Did you use any brackets to raise your tire up a bit to clear the bumper? Kinda like this one? I'm not sure if I'll need as I did a 1" body lift.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to get one that raises the tire up, can't remember the brand, so it wouldn't hit the bumper. I have had my 33 on there for a year+ and have not had any issues. I have read quite a bit on the forum and have seen some that are adamant that the weight is a factor with others saying the weight is fine so long as it is "tight". I don't have the money to get a quality swing away, but am looking at the Warn option. The swing away will require a new bumper for me as the PO installed a chrome rear bumper.
I appreciate the info. I would rather go with a swing away too but they are so damn expensive. I like the Exogate or the BeStop High Rock as well. Both get the weight off just the tailegate. So much money though.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
My 33" Duratrac spare clears the bumper with the 1.25" BL using the stock location of lug studs. I did add ~1" PVC pipe spacers to raise the 3rd brake light high enough to clear the tire.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I stuck some tennis balls between the tire and snubbers to fill the gap. Works well.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Eventually, I'm going to lose my spare tire swing, and purchase the Exogate tire carrier. It beefs up your tailgate hinge, and you won't have any worries then.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went with an ORFab swing-away tire carrier for my 33's. I plan to go the distance all the way to 37's (whenever I get money...*sigh*) and I won't have to upgrade my spare carrier again because of this. If you don't plan on going higher than 33's, a simple adapter for the tailgate is plenty enough. If you DO plan on upgrading, bite the bullet now and get something that will not only last, but be usable for whatever your future plans are.

Also as a side note, a swing-away carrier will allow more functionality; in my case, I can carry 10 gallons extra gas as well as a bumper jack with my particular carrier. Some brands even allow you to store coolers on top of them, in addition to the aforementioned accessories

·
Registered
527 Posts
Alrighty boys I got you guys in the AM on pics!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Thanks! Did you use any brackets to raise your tire up a bit to clear the bumper? Kinda like this one? I'm not sure if I'll need as I did a 1" body lift.
It's raised because of the 1.25" bodylift.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the High rock carrier and couldn't
I have the High rock carrier and couldn't
:pc-ouch:I am not sure how this happened, all I can say that while I was writing the post application on my IPad crashed. I am sorry for it and the admins can remove the posts.

Back to the subject

I have the High Rock carrier and couldn't be happier. Before that, I have used Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier for a year with 305/70-16’s and the tailgate started to show signs of sagging, and the paint of the hinges started to chip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts