Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally got my Gobi Stealth rack after a 9 week wait...ugh that was a long wait. Put it on the jeep last night but had an issue with one bolt. The part where you take out one of the torx bolts by the windshield (one facing the front) had an issue. When I was tightening the new bolt in the weld broke on the inside behing the firewall/frame and started spinning. I was not at that point able to back it it nor tighten it all the way down. It just spins freely and has a small gap where it should be snug against the frame.

I popped a panel out inside the door frame as well as the windshield wiper area. Absolutely no way to get to that thing without some serious disassembly. Probably beyond my skill set.

Thoughts?
1) Don't worry about it?
2) Take it somewhere?

Only problem is..only way to get the rack off the car now is to cut that bolt or drill it out. Grrrr

·
Registered
86 Posts
So finally got my Gobi Stealth rack after a 9 week wait...ugh that was a long wait. Put it on the jeep last night but had an issue with one bolt. The part where you take out one of the torx bolts by the windshield (one facing the front) had an issue. When I was tightening the new bolt in the weld broke on the inside behing the firewall/frame and started spinning. I was not at that point able to back it it nor tighten it all the way down. It just spins freely and has a small gap where it should be snug against the frame.

I popped a panel out inside the door frame as well as the windshield wiper area. Absolutely no way to get to that thing without some serious disassembly. Probably beyond my skill set.

Thoughts?
1) Don't worry about it?
2) Take it somewhere?

Only problem is..only way to get the rack off the car now is to cut that bolt or drill it out. Grrrr
That sucks sorry that happened. I'm ordering one soon. Can you cut off the bolt/head with dremmel and then you can best decide how to get to that nut.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a problem with one bolt on mine that wouldn't line up and I never could get it tightened. I decided to not worry about it. I figured if I ever take the rack off I will worry about it then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, for now the structural integrity of the rack isn't really a concern. That thing is a beast and reinforced in more ways that one. It's more or less just bothering me in my head. If I do take it off I will have to cut it with a dremel (short of taking it to a shop and paying someone to get under there). Cant see that being cost effective.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with mine - installed several months ago and so far I've just left it there. Sticks out a bit and bugs me that I can't tighten it down. This happened on mine because the holes are slightly off - enough that when you get to the last bolt and try to make it fit and start torquing it down, it does what yours did... Pissed me off for such an expensive rack but I can say I'm 1,000 miles into my trip to Moab right now and prob have close to 300 lbs up there and it is solid as it can be.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you need to remove it, put some vice grips on it and pull real hard while you loosen..hopefully the nut will grab part of the broken weld and allow you to take the bolt out. If you get it out, you can use a nutsert? to replace the broken body nut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts