New tires
142k miles
Frame is good has surface rust
Rust repaired half ass on front fender
Found a small amount of engine oil leaking
Clean carfax two owner local trade in

They are asking $8999

Tax title license should be roughly $600

To me this is a spot on offer am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Seems about right for Chicagoland market. We got a steal last year on our '01, but anything comparable was up over 10K.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My first offer would have been a little less, but not much. Go for a feeler, but not an insult. The worst they can say is no. If you really like the vehicle then persist. Have you looked in other markets? South and west? Some say if you're willing to travel, you'll open your options up quite a bit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did I started at $8k, not in a rush just don't have time to mess around a lot and really don't care that much. Really surprised they didn't jump on a $8500 cash offer....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did I started at $8k, not in a rush just don't have time to mess around a lot and really don't care that much. Really surprised they didn't jump on a $8500 cash offer....
I have another option with only 89k miles but no hard top and needs a new fender.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would take into consideration whether the hard top is desirable for you or not. Around here, a good used hard top when you can find one is between $800 and $1200 and even then, they usually need to be repainted. If you like the top, probably worth what they are asking. If not, and you like the Jeep, buy it and sell the hard top and get your money back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would take into consideration whether the hard top is desirable for you or not. Around here, a good used hard top when you can find one is between $800 and $1200 and even then, they usually need to be repainted. If you like the top, probably worth what they are asking. If not, and you like the Jeep, buy it and sell the hard top and get your money back.
True and this will not only be a toy for trail riding and top less in the summer. It will also be used for a 60 mile rd trip to work most days. Winter is long and cold up here so the hard top will be nice to have. I also own an LR4 so if it's that bad out I will drive the LR. I figure I will drive the jeep 75% of the time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like you made a fair offer. Did you give them your contact info? If so, I would let them sit on it for a little bit and see if they call you back shortly. At the price they're asking, I don't think you have to worry about it flying out the door. However, it also depends on the local inventory. They know what's out there and and it's hard to find a good solid condition Jeep around that age. If there's slim pickings, then they might just stand their ground on the price

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you made a fair offer. Did you give them your contact info? If so, I would let them sit on it for a little bit and see if they call you back shortly. At the price they're asking, I don't think you have to worry about it flying out the door. However, it also depends on the local inventory. They know what's out there and and it's hard to find a good solid condition Jeep around that age. If there's slim pickings, then they might just stand their ground on the price
Yes they have my info and will let me know. The vehicle has been in inventory for about a month now.

I think your spot on about local inventory, if it were good I would already have one in my driveway:)

Love this forum so far a lot of good knowledge.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'd pass you could get a much better vehicle for that money. They're asking 9k...I paid 9k for an 01 with 79k miles. Had a lift and brand new shoes on it. There will always be better deals then what you get but for that amount of money you should spend it wiser.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd say wait. I bought a 2000, 4.0l with 88k on it, 2 owner, stock, for $6500.

No rust, although it does have a leaky valve cover gasket that I need to get around to fixing.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I'd pass and look around some more, especially from private sales vs. dealers. You may also want to research pricing for any repairs such as fenders and oil leaks because that may eat up any price savings of a good deal fairly quick. Oil leaks are usually a deal breaker for me unless it's a simple valve cover leak. I don't feel like I should be working on a new vehicle before I have time to actually enjoy driving it, especially for a $9K vehicle.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I live in south Alabama near Gulf Shores. Jeep are hard to find and very expensive down here because everyone want a beach cruiser. I paid 11,000 for my 05 4.0 RME with 93,000 miles.

·
Registered
739 Posts
agree I am still on the hunt but damn these things seem to be rare right now:(
Yeah man unfortunately there is such thing as jeep season, and you're a month or 2 into it. My wife and I looked last year around this time, prime jeep season, everyones prices were inflated because everyone wants a beach cruiser / camping toy as stated above. We decided to put our searches off until fall when it got cold. Nailed our deal in the middle of december when it was freezing out lol. Prices were THOUSANDS cheaper in the winter, no one was out looking for them. I never would have got a 88k 2 owner, completely stock and unmolested 4.0L jeep for 6 grand in the summer.

Edit: Yes, we actually dipped into the teens here in north florida over the iwinter and had plenty of days in the 20s!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wow that is a great deal!!!!

I figured the "jeep season":)
Keep looking though, you'll find someone who needs out quick and willing to give you a deal. When I was looking I would check all the local craigslist areas daily .. I was obsessed though lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just purchased a garage queen here in Michigan for $13k. 2000 4.0, auto, 4" lift, brand new 33's, 45,000 miles, soft top that was a one owner. Never seen a winter and never been on dirt. Did I over pay maybe, but I looked at 05, 06 years and they were rough compared to this one. I wish it had a hard top though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts