Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So due to my losing all my posts by having to create a new screen name I was unable to post my JL hard top for sale in that section here. So I have listed it on FB classifieds. Was home for lunch yesterday and got a message that this guy wanted it and would I take less than listed. OK sure. He says he will be by in a few hours. Great ! A few hours pass and I message him to get an ETA, he replies 5:45-6:00 OK no problem, I have waited this long already. So then about 5:30 he messages me again and asks if the top will fit a JK?????
Seriously???? :atomic:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I only sell through garage sales or specific forums versus selling to random strangers responding to ads. Learned a long time ago that 90% never show up. The ones that did would want to pay 1/2 price. Just a waste of time. The funny ones would want me to hold the item for a few days when they were just replying via phone or email. Really? Put some money down and I'll hold it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are some stupid people on facebook, the more you're on there the more you'll find.

·
Commercial Member
7,890 Posts
I've stopped trying to sell stuff on Craigslist because so many flaky people.

I have my wife post things on the Facebook marketplace, seems to be a bit better but still some weird people.

I had a lady ask if I would hold a hardtop for 3 days, I told her maybe, but if someone showed up with cash it was getting sold.
Someone came the next morning with cash, so I sold it. She got all pissy lol.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Truthfully, you'll get people like that on the forum too. They might be new to the Jeep world, or they might be looking for something for a spouse or friend. Or, hell, maybe they are stupid. I follow my instincts on things like this. If it feels fishy, I will walk away (and have multiple times). Otherwise, their money is still green and I'll answer a few stupid questions here and there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I feel your pain man! Selling on Craigslist is hit or miss for me. Sometimes people show up, sometimes they don't, and they almost always try to bust you up on price. I learned a long time ago to always say "My price is 100% FIRM!" in my posting. This quickly helps to separate the men from the boys :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Back when I did detailing (second job) I would meet the best people and then some that I would refuse to ever work for again, course I wouldn't actually say that to them, I'd just triple my price and add a hundred! Like JM said - People are strange

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buying sucks too. I've been trying to buy a soft top. People don't reply. . . who tries to sell something and then doesn't reply when they have a potential buyer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I listed my rockslides from my Rubi JLU, guy wanted to buy them for his 2 door JK.... I told him it wouldnt fit, and he needed to buy them for a 2 door JL, he bought them anyway then wanted to return them when he "couldnt get them to fit".... I declined to return something he tried to modify to fit his jeep.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
The general public is dumb, if you ever work retail you will know a new level of dumb.
It is mind blowing how stupid the general population has become.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Stupid people?? really. Its' going to get worse. Kids graduating that should be in 9th grade still. Don't want to hurt their self esteem. But they got to have a living wage as a trainee at fast food. Rant,,, don't get me started.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Buying sucks too. I've been trying to buy a soft top. People don't reply. . . who tries to sell something and then doesn't reply when they have a potential buyer?
Someone who has sold it and forgets to take the ad down and doesn’t look at mail from CL which is mostly spam. Or so I’ve been told 🙂

Reactions: WaltA

·
Registered
389 Posts
I will agree FB marketplace is better because (mainly) it has peoples real name and not a random email.

However, being that it is FB, comes with "thosr" kinds of people. Not all are bad but still a few pliers short of a toolchest.

I will say, I have seen better quality items on FB as well. youll find a few different gems on CL if you look.

But ya...I get ya mean. Dont need a degree to have a fb account :)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
The general public is dumb, if you ever work retail you will know a new level of dumb.

I was manager (all title, not pay) of an auto parts dept back in the mid 70's.

Many times a woman would come in for, say, an oil filter their husband asked them to pick up. I ask what type of car it was, and she would say "blue". :D

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
People are generally flakes and don’t do what they say they will do, when they say they will do it, and where they say they will do it. When I sell I expect this behavior. Fortunately I work from home a lot and it’s not a big inconvenience when they don’t show.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts