Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

This is sort of an odd one. A few days ago, my AM radio stations stopped working. As I dial through any station, all I hear is static. FM works perfectly, and that's baffling since they utilize the same antenna. On that front, I have both the stock and AntennaX, and I get the same result from both.

Searching around on the web didn't yield any results. Does anyone have suggestions, or has this happened to anyone here?

Thanks!
Allen

(Oh, it's for a '13 JK)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1010 WINS in NYC is great for traffic, especially on my 3-hour roundtrip journey to/from work daily :). Other than that, I don't need AM, but it'd be nice for it to work as part of that $30k that I plunked down hehe.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you have the stock radio, it should be covered by the warranty. Chances are they will replace the radio.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think it has to do with the antenna. True, FM uses the same antenna, but it doesn't need it as much as AM does. Have you done anything with the antenna or radio? If so, I would start there. If not, let it be the dealer's problem.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My AM radio stopped working in the late 70s :)
I looked all over the Jeep, inside the arm rest and dash, I can't find the slot for my 8-tracks.

Around here, the very last AM radio station stopped transmitting about 10 years ago, and that was 10 years to late.

On a more "Sirius" note, I always thought that the AM band used a Loop or Coil type antenna and that it would be located inside the radio HU itself. I'm quite sure it is independent of the whip stuck to the side of the fender.

dp

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'd get it into the dealer, chances are the radio is toast. If the antenna was out you might still get AM, but not usually FM, but as you describe it I'd guess something died inside.

For those dissing AM keep in mind the vast majority of Sports Talk stations take place on the AM dial, Rush during his peak could pull in 20 million listeners - even NPR with all of its "might" could only pull that number if you added all of their shows together. Rush actually is considered to be the savior of the dying AM dial, today between sports & talk shows AM is doing very well, and is actually pretty profitable for most stations compared to many of their FM counterparts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I made an appointment with the dealer. I don't recall doing anything with the radio or antenna, other than turning it on so it's a mystery.

By any chance, is there a possibility that it can be the slot where the antenna screws into? We've had some rain in NY the past few weeks and I'm starting to wonder if somehow it got shorted. I checked the fuses this weekend under the hood and the radio fuse is intact. Thanks again!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I looked all over the Jeep, inside the arm rest and dash, I can't find the slot for my 8-tracks. Around here, the very last AM radio station stopped transmitting about 10 years ago, and that was 10 years to late. On a more "Sirius" note, I always thought that the AM band used a Loop or Coil type antenna and that it would be located inside the radio HU itself. I'm quite sure it is independent of the whip stuck to the side of the fender. dp

I was think the same the AM ANTENNA is inside the stereo itself like a coil

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'm getting the Wrangler back today. Replacing the antenna and antenna housing did nothing to fix the problem. The radio ended up being the culprit. They replaced it so hopefully all will be good from hereon out.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us, glad it was covered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting. Mine just did the same thing. its a 2015. I researched it and couldn't find anything either. Replaced the antenna and cleaned up the housing to make sure I had a good ground but nothing. Guess I'll look into a replacement radio.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. Mine just did the same thing. its a 2015. I researched it and couldn't find anything either. Replaced the antenna and cleaned up the housing to make sure I had a good ground but nothing. Guess I'll look into a replacement radio.
Hey Patrick! As it turned out, the Chrysler dealership did something to the radio to cause the issue and they did swap it out. Of course this being 6 years ago, I’m now thrilled with my Kenwood. If anyone is interested in the stock radio, I’m happy to sell it for super cheap! Hope everyone is safe and healthy!

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
For those still reading this thread. The loop antenna is for AM in THE HOUSE. Generally house radios used this to avoid a long wire hanging on the wall. Vehicles have used the straight metal antenna for AM since car radios were first produced. Take it from someone whose first drives were in cars with AM only radios. My first car was a new off the lot VW Bug in the fall of '64. It had a AM radio that I had upgraded to AM/FM. Back in the '50s, when I was in school (graduated HS in '61) it was a rare vehicle to have AM/FM. I know dad's '54 and '62 Fords and moms '57 Buick were all AM only. I think mom's '63 Ford was the first one we had with FM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts