Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '14 JKUS in December of last year, with 78K on it. It was in really good shape, maintained well, one owner and kept stock, so I jumped on it.

I have a friend who's a professional car detailer and let him have at it on my Jeep last week. He has tools that I didn't know existed, but, that's why I trusted him.

Yes, my Jeep is bone stock, and that's my preference. Just will get newer tires when these wear out eventually.

The below is what you get after 30 hours of labor over six days and $490 dollars later. Needless to say, I was extremely impressed with the results.

Enjoy the photos of the process.

Before...

Prep work/wash..

After the wash...

Before polishing

Polishing results...

Finished Job...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - he was very thorough. My wife didn't get the point of getting a Jeep to look "shiny" - but - that's a different topic. I had to keep telling her it was more for paint/trim restoration that just a wax job. She agreed with me once she saw the finished results.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Yeah - he was very thorough. My wife didn't get the point of getting a Jeep to look "shiny" - but - that's a different topic. I had to keep telling her it was more for paint/trim restoration that just a wax job. She agreed with me once she saw the finished results.
Protecting the value of your jeep, good investment of the $$

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Congrats on the new Jeep, er, new detail work.

Looks damn fine!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I like Black vehicles, but have never own one.. I cringe at trying to keep black looking new and I fear I would never be able to handle it alone. Great job welcome to the "Clean Jeep" club.

prospective owner

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I like Black vehicles, but have never own one.. I cringe at trying to keep black looking new and I fear I would never be able to handle it alone. Great job welcome to the "Clean Jeep" club.

prospective owner
For anyone who is even mildly OCD, Black is a F'ing Nightmare come home to roost.
I have owned many and used to obsess, wash every day wax every week - Had a Box in the trunk FULL of detail stuff...... No More.

Current DD (JKURHR) is White. Best move I ever made. I keep her nice but the effort is Nothing close to Black.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have black. You just have to keep up with it. I hand wash every week. Takes me 2 hours. After 2 years the paint looks brand new still.
Just detailed myself a few weeks ago. Not hard just takes some effort and education.
You are going to get swirls on a daily driver. One needs to learn how to use a clay bar, paint sealer, buffer etc..

In winter months I take it to a touchless wash and bring home and do a waterless wash using Optimum No Rinse. Usually have the cleanest vehicle on the road LOL !

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
@RubiconSS those days of wanting to keep it that clean are over.. I've had my fill of car show quality resale isn't an option. Just don't have the nerve to do this anymore. This doesn't mean I'm not going to take care of it, just not to that extreme as the Oper has done. I was tempted to purchase a Black Willys wheeler just because it was cheaper and had the gears I wanted.. but we're going for a low maintenance appearance vehicle.. Prob the graphite color.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@RubiconSS those days of wanting to keep it that clean are over.. I've had my fill of car show quality resale isn't an option. Just don't have the nerve to do this anymore. This doesn't mean I'm not going to take care of it, just not to that extreme as the Oper has done. I was tempted to purchase a Black Willys wheeler just because it was cheaper and had the gears I wanted.. but we're going for a low maintenance appearance vehicle.. Prob the graphite color.
I won't be this extreme all the time - I just wanted to bring it up to a point where I was happy with how it looked - it's more maintenance, as many of you have suggested, from here on out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just watched a youtube video of how detailing actually works and its crazy impression. It's far beyond just a good washing/waxing. It's actually a restorative permanent process. Very well done and worth it imo

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wow!

Inspired me to go wash mine.

Tell the wife it's like putting stain protwctor on the sofa, helps it clean up better and easier when it gets dirty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too liked black, but couldn't do it for all the reasons listed. When it looks good, it looks great. But hard to keep it that way, unless you work at it....and with 3 Harley's and and an Indian in the garage, I have enough to polish!

Ended up with the Charcoal graphite metallic or whatever they call it. Almost black, but hoping it's not quite as finicky. Funny, I am considering detailing mine using liquid glass, but knowing what it looks like on plastic, was thinking of how to do it without leaving a mess on the black plastic bits. Decided I was going to use painters tape.....thought I was being original, but I guess not!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on this. I spoke with a ceramic coating company today just to see what they can offer. According to them (I know this might sound a bit much) they can coat the jeep (once we purchase) with a ceramic produce of their. This process would take one weekend and cost $1,300.

Videos show them setting fire to the hood of the vehicle without any damage.. Nothing can stick to this coating so if you want decals on the jeep, best place them before the coating is applied. The coating isn't just for the exterior of the jeep, they also make a product to coat your plastic parts and upholstery. so this would be a total coverage for $1,300.

Would you consider a product like this on your jeep?. I'm very tempted..

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's a nice lookin ride. Glad you found someone that has the patience and can enjoy it even more.

Mine was lucky to get a wash thru the local car wash today. First bath besides the ones from mama nature in 4 months.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts