Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What winches are still made in America besides Ramsey and Superwinch?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, warn is made in Mexico nowadays unfortunately

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Im pretty sure all but 1 or 2 superwinch models are made in china.....go figure

·
Knows a couple things...
49,064 Posts
nope, warn is made in Mexico nowadays unfortunately
No they're not, all their Jeep size Warn-badged winches are manufactured in Oregon. Their small ATV winches are manufactured in China.

I dunno how rumors Warn's winches are manufactured in Mexico get started.

Two more American made winches include Superwinch's X9 and S9000... but sadly all the rest of Superwinch's winches are made in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOJcZj-_VVU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gllGoIssw0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90zJcB-Urng

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the rumor got started because Warn states they have a manufacturing plant in Saltillo, Mexico.
yeah what he said

ok now where are the best places to one of these handy dandy american made beauties? and are there any other options beside WARN, Ramsey, and Superwinch?

you would think i could get a darn Ramsey cheaper and factory direct seeing as how i live about 10 miles give or take from them here in Tulsa.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
No they're not, all their Jeep size Warn-badged winches are manufactured in Oregon. Their small ATV winches are manufactured in China.

Two more American made winches include Superwinch's X9 and S9000... but sadly all the rest of Superwinch's winches are made in China.

Pirate 4x4 TV Visits Warn Industries (Part 1) - YouTube
Pirate 4x4 TV Visits Warn Industries (Part 2) - YouTube
Pirate 4x4 TV Visits Warn industries (Part 3) - YouTube

After they visited the warn H.Q. wich is about 20 minutes from where I live they went wheelin...Where I wheel!!
Warn Industries and Pirate 4x4 TV: Wheeling in Tillamook State Forest - YouTube

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Jerry.

If the time ever comes when you need to rebuild your motor, look on the case and you may find it stamped "Made in Mexico" Mine on my 9.5Ti was but this is no reason to believe that the winches are made in Mexico tho. I think some people are jumping to conclusions.

Donn

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
OK, I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this but I'm gonna ask this question as a guy who grew up in Detroit (and thus the auto industry) and have had "buy american" crammed down my throat since I was a toddler.

So.. why is the American Made winch better than the non-american made winch? In theory, if it was designed in America but built in Mexico, china, etc, would it not still be an acceptable product? I know globalization isn't going away. Why are so many people stuck on the idea that manufacturing in America is necessary? We are a service economy not a manufacturing economy like we were 60 years ago. Why fight what works?

OK, flame on.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,064 Posts
So.. why is the American Made winch better than the non-american made winch? In theory, if it was designed in America but built in Mexico, china, etc, would it not still be an acceptable product?
Are you serious? :confused: Do you not watch the news? Have you not read in the newspapers and seen on the network news the outrage over many of the products produced in China that have been literally killing thousands of people including babies? Poisonous baby formula products, non-medicinal grade Glycerin used in medicines, food products that are literally killing those who eat them, explosive batteries, drywall giving off poisonous fumes in entire housing tracts. Many Chinese manufacturers care about just one thing... profits and many sure as hell don't care if they produce a good safe product for the American consumer. Not to mention for every job we give to a Chinese worker, that is one less job for an American worker. :mad:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I dont give a damn of it was Designed in the USA, if it has CHINA stamped on it, Im not buying. That means an American based company gave in to higher profit yields at the cost of my friends and families jobs-Just to pay a Chinese sweat shop worker to piece together that chinese winch made of crappy materials that leave you stuck in the middle of nowhere. It may be Designed, but it will never be American.

....stepping off soapbox

·
Knows a couple things...
49,064 Posts
I dont give a damn of it was Designed in the USA, if it has CHINA stamped on it, Im not buying. That means an American based company gave in to higher profit yields at the cost of my friends and families jobs-Just to pay a Chinese sweat shop worker to piece together that chinese winch made of crappy materials that leave you stuck in the middle of nowhere. It may be Designed, but it will never be American.
A good example of that is Currie's U.S. designed spare tire carrier that was taken to China by Smittybilt to be copied and manufactured for less. The final product's shoddy quality as now sold by Smittybilt shows just what a Chinese manufacturer can do to a design and product that was originally superb.

·
Registered
600 Posts
A good example of that is Currie's U.S. designed spare tire carrier that was taken to China by Smittybilt to be copied and manufactured for less. The final product's shoddy quality as now sold by Smittybilt shows just what a Chinese manufactuer can do with a design and product that was originally superb.
Which sir, is why I just purchased my spare Adapter from Handen Fabrication. Found them on eBay. 110% US made.

As far as American tools go- they really dont even compare to a good Swiss or German made tool- BUT, its the fact of the matter, I support America and the Jobs here.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Refer to my signature. Enough said. Oh, and I'm a U.S. Army vet.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
thank you for your service to our country
X2 - All the love and respect in the world for those who defend our country.

I see all of your points when it comes to quality manufacturing. I guess my frustration is based on where I grew up, the constant reminders that anything made outside of the U.S (regardless of country) is an inferior product. I drove a Honda Civic and used to get ridiculed by coworkers and family members for it because they were part of the all knowing american auto industry and I was a traitor to my country for buying a japanese car. Granted, that car cost me $500 and lasted more than 60,000 miles so I don't see the harm in buying a foreign car just for the sake of "Buy American".

All of that said, people can spend their money how they want. I find it hard to hate on Walmart while getting toilet paper, clothes and electronics at lower costs than I would otherwise. I find it hard to hate on a culture of capitalism when I and every other people who works for a living is part of the same culture of capitalism.

Finally, I currently drive two American Vehicles, work for a private company based entirely in the United States, use a Warn Winch, smoke 305 cigarettes and support local food establishments every day. Wouldn't matter to me if those brands and purchases were domestic or foreign as long as they work for me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
X2 - All the love and respect in the world for those who defend our country.

I see all of your points when it comes to quality manufacturing. I guess my frustration is based on where I grew up, the constant reminders that anything made outside of the U.S (regardless of country) is an inferior product. I drove a Honda Civic and used to get ridiculed by coworkers and family members for it because they were part of the all knowing american auto industry and I was a traitor to my country for buying a japanese car. Granted, that car cost me $500 and lasted more than 60,000 miles so I don't see the harm in buying a foreign car just for the sake of "Buy American".

All of that said, people can spend their money how they want. I find it hard to hate on Walmart while getting toilet paper, clothes and electronics at lower costs than I would otherwise. I find it hard to hate on a culture of capitalism when I and every other people who works for a living is part of the same culture of capitalism.

Finally, I currently drive two American Vehicles, work for a private company based entirely in the United States, use a Warn Winch, smoke 305 cigarettes and support local food establishments every day. Wouldn't matter to me if those brands and purchases were domestic or foreign as long as they work for me.
Your exactly right about people and thier money....they can and will spend it how they please. Wal-Mart, keep in mind, was once a "Proud to carry American Company" ....Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if he knew how many foreign goods they now carry. All to save money. Heck Yeah I love my 1.99 toilet paper, but id pay the 2.89 if it meant everytime I wiped my butt it saved an American job.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.