Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to pass along a bad experience I just went through a month ago, so you can learn from it and / or potentially dodge it.

I live in AZ and for quite some time, I am/was insured through Costco's Ameriprise Auto Insurance program (IDS Property Casualty Insurance Co.) for our family cars. One of which was a 2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU Sport. I had it insured with them since early 2015. Unfortunately, it recently got totaled out in an accident whereby somebody pulled right out in front of me at an intersection and I broadsided him. Anyways, I bought another Wrangler and this time it was a 2016 Rubicon. Sitting at the dealership after concluding the purchase deal, I called my insurance company mentioned above to get insurance on the Rubicon so I could drive it off the lot.

Once on the phone with them, they asked me 2 loaded questions:
1 - Have there been any modifications to the jeep?
So I answered "a 4 inch lift and wheels / tires".
The rep stopped me right there and said "Sorry Mr. ______, we cannot insure that vehicle because of the lift height. (Inside my head, i was thinking is this the twilight zone). I responded and said, hang on, I think that's a mistake, put the guy on hold for a minute while I drank my water. Got him back on the line and said, no, I was wrong, it's a 3" lift. He then went on to the next question. (Apparently a 3 inch lift height is Ok).

2 - Do you plan on using the Jeep off-road?
offs. I answered yes. The rep stopped me right there and said "Sorry Mr. ______, we cannot insure that vehicle. (Again, inside my head, i was thinking is this the twilight zone).

To make the long story short, I think they didn't want to insure the Jeep at all, (period). I was shocked. I really don't know why.

Now, I don't know if they have changed their internal policies for insuring jeeps or they just targeted me because I was in a recent accident resulting in a total loss (100% the other parties fault).

I ultimately had to insure it through Geico. They didn't seem to have a problem with anything as they never even asked. However... I now pay twice as much as before for the Sport.

Has the insurance landscape changed over the last 5 years with respect to Jeeps.

Has anyone else run into same or similar situations.

Feedback appreciated...

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
So I not long ago switched to Costco not very long ago, last few months. No problem with them insuring but I am only lifted 2.5 inches. As far as off road goes when I pressed them it really comes down are you on named roads or in a ORV park. Many of the trails are in fact names roads and you are covered.

You also may want to check this out:

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Ameri who

·
Registered
879 Posts
I know Ameriprise as a financial services and investment company, not an auto insurance company. Insurance companies have the freedom to determine what types of vehicles they will insure - lifted, classic, recreational, etc. There are lots of insurance companies that insure lifted/modified Jeeps so simply use someone else. I use Liberty Mutual.

You have the freedom to choose the company that will insure your Jeep and insurance companies have the freedom to determine how much risk they are willing to assume/insure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just make sure you move all your vehicles to a new insurance company. Not interested in insuring one of my vehicles, that's ok, I'll take all my vehicles elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm happy with State Farm and my agent.

Reactions: ScaldedDog

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, the thread topic is "Ameriprise Won't Insure Lifted Jeeps Anymore". Posts deleted to reflect that.

If you want to have a 2A debate start a thread in off topic LINK
As they OP of this thread, that's right. My intent was not about igniting a discussion about rights and freedoms. It was about "Hey, has this happened to you", or "Has anything changed in the insurance landscape over the last few years"

The purpose was also to alert you to this possible discussion with an insurance company when a quote or insurance engagement is pending.

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
While I assume the insurance company can decide not to insure a vehicle I bought, luckily I am free to take my insurance business and money (because they don't insure them for free) elsewhere.
I hope you took all your insurance needs elsewhere. How else are they going to learn?
The two things those "the average person who switched from brand X insurance to us saved an average of $500" really says is that there is always another insurance company out there willing to insure you for less and the average person is willing to switch insurance carriers for $500. Less than that and it stops being worth the hassle.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Use a first tier company and problem solved. Never had any issues with USAA.

Reactions: SoDakSooner

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Had no problems with Allstate.

They covered mine when I flopped it at an Off Road Park and because it was my first claim, my rates didn't go up.

All my Jeeps are insured with Allstate.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Buddy of mine has had problems with an insurance claim through Progressive because he was Offroad when it happened.

He'll be switching soon too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Use a first tier company and problem solved. Never had any issues with USAA.
No offense but USAA is not the greatest.
For years they have mandated that body shops have to use knockoff parts and not OEM. In some cases no matter how new the vehicle is.
Talk to any old time shop owner and they will confirm this.
Other companies have also started pulling this crap but USAA was the biggest and first.

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
I also find USAA to be some of the highest rates around. At least that was the case a year ago.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been offering USAA my business for several years now, and they are consistently higher than my current insurance, on homeowners, cars, motorhome, and motorcycle. For motorcycles they farm it out to Progressive, and their last quote was about 50% higher than going to Progressive directly!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts