Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a total stereo system rookie. My YJ has an amp bolted in the instatrunk with an older Bestop soundbar. It's the kind that flips up for blasting music at the beach or something:D Anyway, I want to relocate the amp so that when I bedline the tub I can wash it out without worrying about what gets wet. Right now the wiring is running everywhere across the floor and it is a mess. Is there any reason I cannot bolt the amp to the inside wall of my Tuffy console?

It will limit what I can put in there but as big as it is, I figure I'll keep filling it until it's full anyway so maybe this will stop me. I've heard amps can get hot but if I don't shove the box full of junk, I think there should be enough airflow. Any ideas?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I put a tool box in my jeep and put the 2 different amps inside of the box to keep it for the most part dry, i also ran all the wires underneath the body with protective stuff on them since i dont have a carpet. the subwoofers and speakers are very reasistant to water, for me at least

·
Registered
760 Posts
Amps can get hot. you have to look at the airflow based on the holes in it as afar as how you can mount it. If it has side heat sinks (the metal fins on the sides) I wouldn't mount it anywhere without airflow. And if the location is water tight, it doesn't have airflow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about a water tight box with a lid for under the seat too. I could leave the lid off except for when I was hosing it off. I don't know...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts