Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone out there that had/have their aftermarket amplifiers installed in the rear storage area have experienced any overheating issues? I'd like to install my two amps in there but am a little apprehensive due to the seemingly lack of air flow.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi,

I put my amp and sub back there. I installed (2) fans. One that provides air under the amp and one that sits on top to draw the hot air out. To be honest I don't think I needed the big fan on top. The alpine amp I have runs pretty cool with the fan in the storage box.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Did you line the bin with something?
I installed Sound Skin in the entire vehicle. Really made a difference when it comes to road noise.

As far as the bin goes I cut it up, what you see there is all that is left of it. I did this again because of water. I can't very well lift the bin out of there with the amp installed without disconnecting everything.

What I did is us a piece of 1/4 inch ABS to make a plate that attached to the body with a 3/4 inch spacer in between the plate and the body. I cut a hole in the plate to have access to the drain plug.

I then built a couple of 1 1/4 inch mounts for either end and attached that to the plate. The mounts have a slot cut into them for routing wire. I then attach the amp to the mounts. The amp sits 2 1/2 inches off the plug and if I do get water back the I remove the 4 screw holding the amp and I can pull the plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input!!! I feel better knowing it's not a real issue. I do have a few too many cargo mats back there (2 plus the hinged cover) that' I'll have to lighten the load on. I'll also def keep the amps off the "floor" in case of any water issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts