Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
considering power step for my newly lifted jku. Amp research steps seem to get best reviews, closely following bestop NX. I understand that amp taps into wiring and drops when interior lights go on, where bestop is sensor based. My question is, how do they work (or do they) when the doors are off?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
According to what I have read, the Amp steps read as the doors being closed when the doors are off, so they do not deploy. I'm sure there could be a way to wire them to a switch for this situation, but that is a little beyond my electrical knowledge. I'm surprised AMP did not allow for this when they designed them for a Jeep Wranglers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to what I have read, the Amp steps read as the doors being closed when the doors are off, so they do not deploy. I'm sure there could be a way to wire them to a switch for this situation, but that is a little beyond my electrical knowledge. I'm surprised AMP did not allow for this when they designed them for a Jeep Wranglers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I am a little surprised as well... hoping that a vendor can chime in with input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have them and they close/retract when the door plugs are disconnected. If you stand on them when you unplug the door plug they remain deployed. So it's up to you to decide which way you want them with the doors off.

·
Vendor
5,685 Posts
considering power step for my newly lifted jku. Amp research steps seem to get best reviews, closely following bestop NX. I understand that amp taps into wiring and drops when interior lights go on, where bestop is sensor based. My question is, how do they work (or do they) when the doors are off?

Thanks guys!
Hey guys!

For the Bestop Powerboard NX, they do not work when the doors are off. As far as the sensor goes, it is located on the B pillar. Let me know if you have any other questions! *CassieAtBestop

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Hey guys!

For the Bestop Powerboard NX, they do not work when the doors are off. As far as the sensor goes, it is located on the B pillar. Let me know if you have any other questions! *CassieAtBestop
I understand it is sensor activated. I have Body Armor Gen III Trail Doors installed in place of the OEM doors. Will the sensors work when any of these 4 doors are opened?

I tried emailing Cassie @ the above email address and it was returned.

Reactions: Bestop

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the amp powersteps, I wired a spdt switch to use when my doors are off. It's very simple.
Hey guys!

Can you comment if the powerboards or powersteps protect the doors from getting door dings like my rock sliders??

Reactions: Bestop

·
Registered
144 Posts
The AMP Research boards offer pretty much zero protection.

Reactions: Northstar01

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
How well do they hold up as rock sliders? Just one more thing to go wrong. I would use the hood of a Prius as a step. When I can no longer get out of a lifted JK it might be time to look at Vetts.

Reactions: Northstar01

·
Vendor
5,685 Posts
Hey all,

With the aftermarket doors there is a way you can rig it to work I am pretty positive, however we only test it to work with the OEM doors.

The boards do not offer any protection to the doors. They tuck up close to the frame, but do not sire high to protect the doors. *CassieAtBestop

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
I installed a set of these last year on my wife's JK. Although I have not done it yet, I came up with a wiring mod to have the steps activate whenever the key fob unlock button is pressed if the doors are off. I included a latched PB to toggle the way they operate either normally when the doors are on or via the fob when they are off. The little blue LED on the PB will illuminate whenever the steps are in the extended position.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts