Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Wrangler JKU w/ the Alpine Premium audio system. I love the JEEP, but my biggest complaint is the audio system. What I am looking to do is make it louder and get more out of the subwoofer in the back (which I can barely hear)

Since I already have the Alpine system from factory I was thinking of simply swaping out the factory amp, and replacing it with a different, more powerful, five channel amp to repower the Alpine speakers and sub. This should increase the power going to the speakers which I believe can handle more then the currently level and hopefully get a little more punch out of the bass. Plus I could just swap out an amp myself.

How powerful of an amp should I go with? What kind of amp? Anyone done anything similar? What affect did it have if any? I want to keep it simple so I can do it myself to save a few bucks. I am open to any suggestions, although I'd like to keep the headunit stock if possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a 2014 Wrangler JKU w/ the Alpine Premium audio system. I love the JEEP, but my biggest complaint is the audio system. What I am looking to do is make it louder and get more out of the subwoofer in the back (which I can barely hear)

Since I already have the Alpine system from factory I was thinking of simply swaping out the factory amp, and replacing it with a different, more powerful, five channel amp to repower the Alpine speakers and sub. This should increase the power going to the speakers which I believe can handle more then the currently level and hopefully get a little more punch out of the bass. Plus I could just swap out an amp myself.

How powerful of an amp should I go with? What kind of amp? Anyone done anything similar? What affect did it have if any? I want to keep it simple so I can do it myself to save a few bucks. I am open to any suggestions, although I'd like to keep the headunit stock if possible.

Thanks
In theory it sounds like a simple swap, however it's not and there are a few extra things needed to do this. The factory HU doesn't have any pre-amp outputs so some sort of audio processor is strongly recommended. Then there is the matter surrounding the 5 channel amp which requires additional wiring, i.e. a wiring kit and interconnects. I would strongly recommend replacing the factory speakers and subwoofer because they are poor quality and nothing like aftermarket Alpine equipment.

This is what it took for me to get my audio where I needed it to be:

2 sets of Alpine Type R Component Speaker
1 Alpine M12 Mono Amp
1 Alpine MRX-F65 4 Channel Amp
2 Alpine 10" Subs in custom sealed box
1 AudioControl DQ-61 Sound Processor
2 Stinger Audio 4 Gauge Amp Kits
1 KnuKonceptz 4 Channel Interconnect Cable
1 KnuKonceptz 2 Channel Interconnect Cable
40 ft KnuKonceptz 12 Gauge Speaker Wire

You definitely do not have to go to this extreme, but you can clearly see when you are using the factory HU some additional items will be needed. Another option would be to replace the HU with an aftermarket unit already equipped with pre-amp outputs so you don't have to deal with sound processors. Also, aftermarket HUs will make the factor speakers sound better, however an amp is always the best option.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts