Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm trying to hook up an amplified PA system. I need some help with the wiring. The CB only has a spot for a 3.5mm jack. The red wire from the pa goes to power and the black is ground, I get that. But then I have two more grey wires. What do I need to go to get those to a 3.5mm jack? Will those get spliced together to a universal jack? I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Of those 2 grey wires, one is grey and the other is grey with either a black or red tracer. The one with the tracer has to be soldered to the center post on the 3.5mm mono jack plug. The solid grey wire goes to the other longer post on the jack plug. Don't cross them. The link provided is a gold plated plug. They also offer a package of 2 plugs with a black plastic cover that works much better. Also be sure to run your power feed wires for the amplifier to a switch since power is pulled from the battery any time it is hooked up no matter if it is being used or not.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of those 2 grey wires, one is grey and the other is grey with either a black or red tracer. The one with the tracer has to be soldered to the center post on the 3.5mm mono jack plug. The solid grey wire goes to the other longer post on the jack plug. Don't cross them. The link provided is a gold plated plug. They also offer a package of 2 plugs with a black plastic cover that works much better. Also be sure to run your power feed wires for the amplifier to a switch since power is pulled from the battery any time it is hooked up no matter if it is being used or not.
Thank you. I was planning to hook up the power wire to an ignition hot fuse. That would work fine too right?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thank you. I was planning to hook up the power wire to an ignition hot fuse. That would work fine too right?
I wouldn't. Most anything that is powered by key on only may have an effect on other electronics. But it's up to you. Mine is through a switched and fused circuit I created that goes direct to battery positive. If you always keep add-ons separate from original equipment you reduce the incidence of harmful interference.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't. Most anything that is powered by key on only may have an effect on other electronics. But it's up to you. Mine is through a switched and fused circuit I created that goes direct to battery positive. If you always keep add-ons separate from original equipment you reduce the incidence of harmful interference.
Ok point taken. Technically it would be going to an add on 7 circuit painless fuse box so it would be separated from original equipment but I get your point. Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Ok point taken. Technically it would be going to an add on 7 circuit painless fuse box so it would be separated from original equipment but I get your point. Thanks for the guidance.
OK. I run a Blue Sea Marine fuse panel but have it run direct to the battery. All my add-on circuits are switchable but fused from there. I like to keep all signal circuits and power circuits separated to limit the chance of bleed and interference.

BTW are you using a Speco ASPC 20? Mine works well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. I run a Blue Sea Marine fuse panel but have it run direct to the battery. All my add-on circuits are switchable but fused from there. I like to keep all signal circuits and power circuits separated to limit the chance of bleed and interference. BTW are you using a Speco ASPC 20? Mine works well.
Yes that's exactly what I'm using! Is it good and loud? I really want to annoy my friends haha

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yes that's exactly what I'm using! Is it good and loud? I really want to annoy my friends haha
Works quite well. Main use for me is to add a little extra when emphasis when giving some idiot the finger just isn't enough. :lmao: Combined with machine gun sound bites from an Iphone it can be an attention getter. Just gotta be careful where and how you use it. :hide:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Works quite well. Main use for me is to add a little extra when emphasis when giving some idiot the finger just isn't enough. :lmao: Combined with machine gun sound bites from an Iphone it can be an attention getter. Just gotta be careful where and how you use it. :hide:
Haha love it! Thanks for the help with my questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts