Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install some ARB diff cover and change the diff oil. I ordered the severe gear 75 90 for the front and rear diff. I do have LSD rear axle. Amsoil site says severe gear works in most LSDs without any additive. My question is for you guys that are running Amsoil severe gear did you have to add the additive or does the oil it self have enough in it?

Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used the 75W-110 Severe Gear. I go directly to Amsoil here in Vegas and they give you a print out of Jeep specs and whats recommended, and there are two different part numbers....one for w/ LSD and one for w/o LSD.

edit: cant find the print out to post the numbers for you, I'll keep looking

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svt.aspx

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Capper I ordered a tube of the additive with the oil. I think I am going to try just the oil first and if I get some chatter out of the LSD I will drain it down some and add the additive. I just thought maybe some people on here have already tried it. According to there site the severe gear 75 90 already has some additive in it just not sure if its enough.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I run Amsoil in both of my trucks with LSD and both chatter without the additive. Don't know about the Jeep, after the two trucks I just put the additive in from the start.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks oilwell I can't believe that there are not more people running the severe gear in there Trac Loc lsd and be able to answer this. I think I am going to call Amsoil tech Monday and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I'm an Amsoil dealer and was a Master Tech for about 10 years. I have put several different brands of synthetic gear lube in lots of LSD equipped vehicles. One thing I learned was to just put the additive in to be sure. It was a crap shoot whether or not it would work smoothly without it and it doesn't matter what brand you choose. The additive is cheap and it's a PITA to add it later because you'll have to drain some fluid to make room for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My jeep dealer said to add 2 bottles of the additive to the rear axle. The bottles are 4oz thats 8ozs. He said thats what they recommend. Does that sound right? Thanks

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
One bottle should be plenty. I've never needed more than that.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
On my KJ with the Trak-Loc LS axle I used these synthetics and it made a lot of chatter, even with the additive. I switched to plain ol' dino fluid $3 quarts from walmart and the axle ran smooth as butter. Personally, I believe that the experts who have stated that synthetic is NOT the best for axles are onto something. I will never use expensive fluids in my axles again.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I run the severe gear in both differentials of my JK and XJ. I did not use the additive and have never had any chatter with either Jeep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts