Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it all started out at a dealership and being an Autistic person dealing with crowds and pressure type situations is well.....not good at times, luckally I had my good friend Charles with me so that helped a lot, seeing as he also is the voice of reason and helped me from getting too stressed out......anyways

after taking the jeep home and enjoying the crappy stock 130 radio for about a day it dies, so I had to take it in for the radio and at that time the MF switch started acting up so I was thankful that got sorted as well, and after getting the jeep back started on the Journey to where I am now in CT, well the radio was.....ummmmm......a radio.......not great, no navi, no USB capabilities and just crap to listen to and it made me miss my traded in mustang and its kick ass killer audio system that I installed (all kenwood products, sadly I do not remember what speakers they were but I think they were the Excellon series) really good IMO for the music I listened to. So off went the radio for the next 8 hours as the crappy sound was just too unbearable to have.....

Fast forward to being in CT I started planning and scheming and plotting....ok maybe not the screaming part, unless you want to say I plotted and screamed the death of the stock sound system......so out went the stock HU 130 thing (which I do have if a fellow member needs one), and in went a Seicane android based HU, and got all my wires and what not ran, yay better system!!!

Weeeeeeeelllllllllllllll so I thought..... got the system tuned for the speakers and felt good about it, had my USB and had navi for a bit, yea that original antenna no bueno....but thats another thread for another day......

So I went to the local Jeep service dept and bought the GPS antenna first, mounted that, then a few months later bought and ran the OEM GPS wire which lead to other projects......yea.....I am sure you can see where this is going really quickly......which lead into getting 3 incorrect adapter cables until I finally found the correct one, got the GPS navi working, thankfully.....so after a few weeks of using the GPS noticing that it sounded better but still meh, I continued my search for nirvana, popped in two 77Kick10's (kit) into the sound bar and holy improvement batman!!!!!

It sounded much better, buuuuuut not good enough.....yea yea I know down the rabbit hole we go again....but did we ever exit in the first place? so continueing my quest I started tuning the HU again, got it there kinda, so I started searching and came across the tweeter mod by another member here, ordered two of the infinity tweeters and got them popped in, now the tweeters sound better, but still lacking, so off those went to get some surgery done by @Pressureized as my hands are not as good with small fine tasks like soldering.

So in the UPS system those went, and out came the sound bar as it was still sounding very hollow, not the rattle type hollow, but the hollow hollow you get when shouting into a PVC pipe that is open on the other end type of hollow, not going to keep that, so one trip to the local parts house (three in total) and only came away with two "speaker baffles" by boom mat, part number "050330" if your interested, took the sound bar apart and installed and trimmed accordingly, still not expecting concert hall levels of sound but installed the Alpine upgraded OEM speakers and the sound baffles and speaker grills (though I am debating on taking those out and not using them) and tested, and Nirvana has nearly been achieved!!!!!!

The scary part to this adventure is I am not done with the tweeters yet and the two front speakers have not been done either, however one speaker was determined to be bad (not working) so that will now have to be replaced, which is already planned, just need to find a good set of 2Ohm speakers if possible, however I am not sure if the OEM Alpines I am using are 2 or 4 Ohm so I would want to make sure the Ohms are matching set on all 4 speakers.....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
well in the quest to figure out how to remove the front speaker box I sorted out why the front right speaker was non functioning, I just pulled out the glove box and happened to accidentally touch the connector which dislodged from its little space, leading me to think all it was was just a disconnected connector.....

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I would be happy to recommend to you the Infinity Reference series 6532IX 3 ohm speakers, $75 clams at Amazon right now.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be happy to recommend to you the Infinity Reference series 6532IX 3 ohm speakers, $75 clams at Amazon right now.
got a link to them?

also should I go coax on all 4 corners or should I switch every thing to component speakers?

also would a speaker that is 15.5 x 7.5 x 4 inches be too large for the sound bar, would hate to buy some that I found and they not fit right....

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Linky
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8RP9HN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There was no need to go to components because I have tweeters in the dash. Tweeters being directional having them behind me would do no good although it may enhance the experience of any back seat passengers. I think the later model Jeeps do have components in the sound bar but don't think its necessary and with good tweeters up front and these Infinitys in the front your sound stage is set. I would keep the kickers in the sound bar for now because they provide "filler" to enhance the front stage but shouldn't divert from it. I think they would be fine

I would not think that a speaker 15.5 x 7.5 x 4 would fit in the sound bar, what kind of speaker is it?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Linky
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8RP9HN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There was no need to go to components because I have tweeters in the dash. Tweeters being directional having them behind me would do no good although it may enhance the experience of any back seat passengers. I think the later model Jeeps do have components in the sound bar but don't think its necessary and with good tweeters up front and these Infinitys in the front your sound stage is set. I would keep the kickers in the sound bar for now because they provide "filler" to enhance the front stage but shouldn't divert from it. I think they would be fine

I would not think that a speaker 15.5 x 7.5 x 4 would fit in the sound bar, what kind of speaker is it?
I want to put a Rockford Fosgate set up in, as for components, you wouldn't go components in the front because of the tweeters or in the rear because of the tweeters? I am a bit confused by the comment, components do not have the integrated tweeter in them, those would be coax speakers...as in the OEM Kicker speakers I currently have (in the front)

I also took a look at the speakers you linked (saw those before) and they are the 4 hole style, not the irritating 3 hole set up we have in our jeeps, how did you fit them in your jeep?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I wouldn't put them in the front myself because I already have the tweeters in the front. (so basically you already have components up front) I wouldn't put them in the rear because I don't think they are necessary if your front speakers are working well. I think Jeep put components in the sound bar on the latest JKs, though, so if you think youll like them, give em a try, couldn't hurt.

The speakers I linked come with adaptors that will work with the 3 hole mounts on the Jeep. I used similar (discontinued) speakers for the soundbar

You have kickers in the front? PO must have installed them

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't put them in the front myself because I already have the tweeters in the front. (so basically you already have components up front) I wouldn't put them in the rear because I don't think they are necessary if your front speakers are working well. I think Jeep put components in the sound bar on the latest JKs, though, so if you think youll like them, give em a try, couldn't hurt.

The speakers I linked come with adaptors that will work with the 3 hole mounts on the Jeep. I used similar (discontinued) speakers for the soundbar

You have kickers in the front? PO must have installed them
actually if you check my build thread (or the first post) I was the one who installed them, they are in the front currently

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I been experimenting to see if I can improve the sound (yes I know these Wranglers are not great for that) but being able to hear the music while the roof is off something I want... :D

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Mine sounds good but the sub is weak, I think my tonneau cover and windbreaker have something to do with that. It's about time to put the doors and top back on anyway

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine sounds good but the sub is weak, I think my tonneau cover and windbreaker have something to do with that. It's about time to put the doors and top back on anyway
I don't have the sub installed in mine (I don't have the upgraded audio system) but I am adding the Infinity OEM tweeters just waiting for them to get here some time next week tuesday or wednesday so yea, adding those along with the kickers that I put up front and the soon to arrive Rockford Fosgates I hope that will wake it up big time, though adding the Kickers and after market HU seems to have woken the Jeep up some.....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thanks to @Pressurized I have come even closer to Nirvana, the set up sounded great to start with, but now with the new modded tweeters in bringing the cross over for the highs down below 5k-ish the system sounds even better then it was and I can actually hear things in the music that I was not hearing before, the other half even commented "one of your speakers isn't working, why is that?" so i instantly knew the mod actually worked :D YAY!

·
Super Moderator
14,585 Posts
well thanks to @Pressurized I have come even closer to Nirvana, the set up sounded great to start with, but now with the new modded tweeters in bringing the cross over for the highs down below 5k-ish the system sounds even better then it was and I can actually hear things in the music that I was not hearing before, the other half even commented "one of your speakers isn't working, why is that?" so i instantly knew the mod actually worked :D YAY!
Yay!!! Glad it worked for you. It's funny how early on, there were guys wanting to dispute the mod. As usual, they hadn't even tried it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yay!!! Glad it worked for you. It's funny how early on, there were guys wanting to dispute the mod. As usual, they hadn't even tried it.
well when the other half even stand and comments "one of your speakers isn't working, why is that?" you guaranteed know that the mod is doing its job :D too bad we can't bring the cross over down more, but I guess there is a point where its best to stop :D at least music is more enjoyable to listen to, and yes I didn't realize how much I was missing honestly....now I got to re tune the eq set up again..... :D dang it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts