Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent thread an individual asked about how to fully disable all of those annoying computer programs that control vehicle handling. It would be nice if Chrysler integrated a switch in to the systems like Ford did with the Raptor, but we can do something about that. In this thread I'll describe what I did in my 2012 Wrangler. For the switch I used a single-throw single-pole lighted toggle switch that cost about four dollars.
DSCF5211.jpg
DSCF5217.jpg
#1) I used a utility knife to cut through the plastic of the console and just kept making the hole slightly larger until the switch would just fit through. I chose to put my switch to the right of the 120 VAC outlet.
DSCF5241.jpg
#2) You'll need to pull the trim piece just forward (surrounds the transmission and transfer case shift knobs) of the center console off. It should pull out with any need for excessive force.
#3) On the rear end of the center console near the bottom there is a T-30 screw on each side that needs to be removed.
#4) It helps to remove everything from the center console. The center console can be lifted up in the same manner as the other trim piece.
#5) Entirely removing the trim pieces is not required, I used the case for my Husky ratchet and sockets to hold the piece up. A beer bottle could work too.
#6) There are two purple wires on the plug, one with a light blue and another with a dark blue stripe. Cut the wire with the light blue stripe.

View attachment 1497665
#7) If you bought a lighted switch like I did you will have three posts and wires that you can use on the switch. Only two of them are required for the switch to function. I thought about installing a terminal board to solder the wires onto but ended up using butt-connectors as you can see. The posts of the switch can be connected to either side of the cut wire, it will not matter. The third wire can be attached to a ground or connected to wire going to the accelerometer. The light will always be on when the ignition is in on if you do this since the Wranglers' systems will always be trying to apply power regardless of the installation of this switch. This switch can secure power to the accelerometer thus disabling any type of computer-aided traction control system.
#8) Re-assemble the trim pieces.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now you should be able to disable all of those annoying control systems. When you take the ignition to ON the ABS and ESC Activation/Malfunction indicators should light up solid. When you turn the vehicle on the HDC indicator will flash for a few seconds. You will not be able to turn the control systems back on by flipping the switch with the vehicle on, you will have to shut it down first.
DSCF5255.jpg
I hope that this thread is of some use, it's not too much different from another one, I just wanted to add my two tiny cents. If you have any questions, want me to take better pictures, or anything else just let me know.

Here's the photo that didn't show up right in the first post.
DSCF5233.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ps sorry for bumping an old thread fellas ... On iPhone and need a microscope to read the post dates :/ won't do it again

·
Registered
131 Posts
I run with that switch on my 2013 JK and really like it. In the snow and off road it is a must.

You will not have cruise control with the switch activated. Small price to pay...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You will not have cruise control with the switch activated. Small price to pay...
I'm pretty sure BLD will also be disabled (it's all part of the ESC system), which is a BIG price to pay while off road.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure BLD will also be disabled (it's all part of the ESC system), which is a BIG price to pay while off road.
I'm quite happy that BLD, ABS, and all of the other automatic control systems turn off when I flip the switch. It's not a big price to pay at all. What those systems do in sand is just awful. Pulsing of the brakes is not desirable in deep sand and not easy on the brakes either. If I wanted my differentials locked I would use my locker(s).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just got done doing this. So far all Ive tested was a quick romp on the gas to redline in the icy parking lot, so I cant really comment on anything.

I just got tired of watching traffic come at me while all the power died.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resurrecting this for a quick question. If I have ECS/ABS lights on due to some unknown reason after replacing all 4 wheel sensors, will this method stop any ECS/ABS function from occurring, period?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts