Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share an observation on refilling the NSG-370. I recently did a fluid change on mine and was bugged by something. The trans sits at a very noticeable tail-down angle, with the filler plug not quite centered, it's rather "aft" of the trans center. In working on Mercedes over the years (from which this trans is sourced) it was considered best practice to "level" the trans on refilling. Knowing how Germans build gearboxes I'm sure their spec is with the trans dead level (they always do it that way...). Not really an issue with M-B's because the trans sits pretty level in the car to begin with. So on my jeep, with the VEHICLE sitting level, I got about 1.75 quarts in... a bit less than the 1.9 (or close to 2) that the specs call out. So I jacked up the rear with a floor jack to roughly level the trans and got in almost 2 full quarts (or an additional .3 or so). I know the NSG-370 can be sensitive to fill level - especially on the 1-2 shift quality. The extra .2-.3 or so quarts did make a noticeable difference in shift quality (I did run it a bit with the "lower" level and wasn't happy so topped it up after leveling the trans). Just thought I'd share this observation and pay it forward for the next guy!

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Worst manual tranny ever put behind a wrangler 6 cylinder no matter how much fluid you put in it
Overly complex shift
Less overdrive then either 5 speed at least in TJ applications most expensive least available parts in most failure prone unit ever put in a 6 cylinder wrangler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for the write-up. You didn’t mention the brand of fluid you used. Redline MTL really improved my shift smoothness quite a bit. .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used Royal Purple Syncrowhatever. Had good results with it in the past and can get it locally. Redline is also great stuff, but harder for me to get...

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Kinda pricey. I just order from Jegs or Summit Racing when I’m ordering other stuff like motor oil.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dont waste your money, I have used pennzoil syncromesh since new, currently 104k and never any trouble. Still shifts like the day i bought it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts