Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met this guy today to exchange parts. The dude was on his YJ and the thing that got me was the fact that his springs were mounted shackles inside and the hard mount was re-welded onto the original places where shackles would normally be. It was not a rock crawler or any other crazy setups. Just a lifted automatic transmission YJ (about 4"). Does anyone know what was that about? Just interesting

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spring over axle?
I didn't look specifically but it wasn't all that high and the springs weren't flat (to compensate :D) The guy didn't know himself since he bought it like that. It did look like a 4" lift max on 31"-33" at most with shackles being maybe an inch over OEM (it was getting dark).

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there any real advantages because of it or it's just the process of tinkering with the vehicle that's there :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Less bump steer. It puts the spring movement to the rear of the axle and steering...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that all? It doesn't seem worth of all that hassle of re-working the whole thing just for the bump steer

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Jeep should have designed the suspension this way to begin with. Friend of mine did shackle reversal kit and it makes a world of difference in ride handling...period. Even makes RC lift kits smooth...lol...

·
Registered
189 Posts
it was a shackle reversal!..its an old "military" style,..does make the ride alot smoother, but u will need to adjust the length of the front driveshaft for that sort of set up..or it would push through ur transfer case,..when u hit bumps the wheel goes backwards instead of up and down..so the rear of the fenders would need trimming too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts