Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've researched everything I can find, and just cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on my suspension upgrade. The guy at the 4x4 shop is likely getting tired of my indecision. I would very much appreciate any input you guys have on the suspension options. I'm hoping to finally decide this week.

Rig: '14 JK Unlimited Rubicon (JKUR) Manual transmission with 4:10 gearing. Stock except for bumpers (have Rock Hard front and rear with tire carrier), and a winch. This Jeep is not my daily commuter, but I do take it on trails and in the snow (I'm above the snowline). I'm not looking to be a hard-core rock crawler, but I live only 15 miles from the Rubicon Trail entrance, and I swear I can hear it calling me... So I do want to be able to run it, even if I take bypasses

Mods I've decided on:
- ARB 44 Differential covers
- Evap canister relocation
- oil/trans skid plate
- poison spyder rock brawler sliders (replace stock rubi sliders)

Suspension option I (4" w/ 35s)
- Teraflex Elite 4" LCG long arm kit 9550 shocks
- 1310 front driveshaft
- Goodyear Duratrac 34.8" tires

Suspension option II (6" w/ 37s)
- Teraflex Elite 6" LCG long arm kit 9550 shocks
- Rear HD adj trackbar
- 1310 front / 1350 rear driveshaft
- Toyo 37" MT tires

Down the road upgrades
- re-gearing
- chromalloy axles

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Starbrite. Reposted there

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
Honestly bud .. Less is better. For a 35 stay around 2.5-3" For a 37 3"-4"

Flat fenders and playing with bump stop height will give you plenty of up travel. Shock length/down.

Tire size .. Well only you can make that call. Stuck to a 35 if you don't plan on axle upgrades.
Gussets, sleeve/truss, rear shafts, etc

Are you dead set on long arms ?
Sticking w/ TF
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2301.htm

Rock krawler has some nice kits too. Check out their long arm and 3 link kits.

Ken

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
I'll add here because I don't want to hijack his thread.

I noticed you "cared deeply" concerning flighty steering.
Back to lift height .. Unless running a aftermarket housing like a pro rock, TF or currie W/ added caster. Your steering/pinion angles up front are impossible to balance. Add a aftermarket DS (most likely need at that height) and Pinion angle takes precedents over caster = poor steering.

Here's a little more info on that
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jeep-jk-caster-and-lifting-502001.html

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
^^^ What he said.

Less is more when it comes to lift unless you have the money to dump into maintaining the integrity of the jeep on a lift higher than 2.5" - 3" (the modification required really start to snowball).

Having a lower center of gravity is actually a good thing and if you really don't plan on being a hard core rock crawler than you most likely won't need that much lift.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Suspension option I (4" w/ 35s)
- Teraflex Elite 4" LCG long arm kit 9550 shocks
- 1310 front driveshaft
- Goodyear Duratrac 34.8" tires
Not sure if you got that height from goodyear or not but Id bet money if your looking at metric sized duratracs (315/70r17) you wont be anywhere near 35". Mine measured in at 33.5" on 17x9 wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, that's not good news... I just used a metric-standard converter I found on extremeterrain.com it said 34.4" snip attached

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Most listed sizes are not true. That's still tech a 35" tire
tech based on what? Its size is its size regardless of what the calculator says. I would argue that since the tire ACTUALLY measures 33.5" its technically a 33" tire.

When I alter the PCM I put in 33.5 I dont put in the metric size or advertised size or 35", but its real size.

Im not sure where exactly calling a tire thats 33.5" tall a 35" tire is technically correct/accurate for anything.

IMDaveReynolds, for reference here is my 315 next to stock rubi before lift.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
tech based on what? Its size is its size regardless of what the calculator says. I would argue that since the tire ACTUALLY measures 33.5" its technically a 33" tire.

When I alter the PCM I put in 33.5 I dont put in the metric size or advertised size or 35", but its real size.

Im not sure where exactly calling a tire thats 33.5" tall a 35" tire is technically correct/accurate for anything.

I believe he is saying that with the listed dimensions it's "technically" a 35" tire (and priced accordingly) but in actuality it measures closer to a 33" tire.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I believe he is saying that with the listed dimensions it's "technically" a 35" tire (and priced accordingly) but in actuality it measures closer to a 33" tire.
Arguing symantecs at this point......

Based on its metric label it may fall into the 35" tire category in a catalog but the very term "technically" refers to strict and accurate meaning....ie "
according to the facts or exact meaning of something; strictly."
which clearly shows that regardless of its label or position in a catalog, its not a 35" tire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts