Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove to Vermont and decided to put the hard top back on for a quieter ride (Wife needed the Grand Cherokee) and drove through 5 hours of heavy rain.

Not a drop came in....accept when I rolled down the window for a toll!

Premium soft top back up and more rain...no leaks! I'd say this is a dry car, assuming no defects and proper usage of the tops. Based on what I had read I did have some concerns, but my dealer said it would not leak when installed correctly.

Robert

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
When I first got my 2013 Sport (hard top), I had leaks from the A and B pillars on both doors. After the local "water doctor" couldn't duplicate or fix 'em, I moved both the driver's and passenger's strikeplates inward and had the dealer replace both door seals. I lube 'em liberally with Gummi Pfledge when I feel frisky.

I've had the hard top off 3x now, and give all the seals a Gummi Pfledge massage before it goes back on.

2 months and several storms later, I'm dry as a bone. It's a nice feeling, ain't it?

I'd say this is a dry car
I wept a little for the kitten who gave his life so you could make this post.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've had my Sport for 10 months and never had a leak. I would suspect most people don't have leaks, but the ones that do are (and should be) vocal about it so they can fix it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My hard top is dry as a bone....my premium soft top on the other hand...not so much. In heavy downpours it leaks at the front corner on the driver's side...when I put the soft top back on for this summer I'll have to bring it in and see if they can fix it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bought my first Jeep couple weeks ago EXPECTING the top to leak after having fully researched the topic. I was excited when the first small rain fall didn't produce a leak. Couple days ago had a larger rain fall, and there was a small puddle in my passenger floor mat. Wasn't shocked, but pretty annoyed. Was kind of hoping all the leaks were over played, but here we are. If you can't live with small to large leaks, don't buy a wrangler.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A somewhat sad update....today was the heaviest rain yet and my new Wrangler sat outside the whole time buffeted by rain and wind for hours. When I opened the door I could see a small puddle of water (caught by the rubber mat) on the passenger side.

Seems to be coming from the top of the door and running inside. It's a small amount, but I plan to get it stopped!

Oh well...no big deal, but I have to be honest. IMHO this should not leak at all, especially at a stand-still and a Jeep with a MSRP over 37K. This should NOT be a "Jeep thing."

Robert

·
Registered
139 Posts
2014 and I had a light leak in my driver side carpet after a rough winter... pulled up the carpet, lubed, and re-seated both plugs.

Light leak after pulling off freedom tops... lubed seals and installed cleanly. I'd say I'm currently leak free (and it's been raining heavy since Sunday in MN). Generally just take care in seating the tops and keeping the seals cleaned and lubed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
good luck, I just ordered a new jeep because mine was leaking and couldn't be fixed. Only 6 months old. Some do, and some don't, I want one that doesn't.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have a 2012 JKU with both tops. Never leaked and I've had the windshield folded down also. As long as your careful and all the seals are clean it should be fine.

·
Registered
785 Posts
this should not leak at all, especially at a stand-still
I think most of them are leaking at a stand-still because of the way the water is channeled.

Haven't got any leak yet with both hard and soft top, but I know that I will need to get a foam kit and replace all the foam pieces on the header and door surrounds of my soft top before I put it back if I don't want to get any this summer. They look like they have done their time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts