Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm apparently getting my crash course lesson in the world of "Jeep".

I have a stock '98 Sahara - my OEM tires/rims were stolen from a "shop" & the "shop" replaced them with 15x8 rims and 31 Kodiak tires - Im no longer able to make U turns without rubbing. I was told I need a 4 inch backspacing. For "fun" I had the rims/tires swapped with a friend to see if 4 inch backspace works - and YES that solved it.

Ive been looking for replacement OEM rims (i like the Canyon) but i dont know if the backspacing will work. I have called 3 Jeep dealers - they didnt know anything about backspacing. I called Quadratec they told me stock is 5 inch not 4 and that I only want 4 inch if im putting on a lift. Is there a window of backspacing i can use?

My plan is to put a 3 inch lift - what is the correct rim size and backspacing i need. I will be running 31 inch tires. Are there any after market brands I should avoid?

Anyone have OEM in decent condition that wants to sell them? lol

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy at the Jeep Shop mentioned spacers but wasnt a big fan of them - he said its better to get the proper rim.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
31x10.5 will fit on a 15x8 wheel 4.5" - 4.75" max backspacing.

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
I need to measure mine, cause when I bought the Jeep, ithad 33s on it with no lift and they barely touched the swaybar and lower control arm when I turned, so I'm thinking mine are 3.5 to 4. But now I have a lift spacers and 31s

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will i still be able to use the same rims when i get the 3 inch lift? or will the lift affect the backspacing requirements?

Thanks for all your help guys!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
31x10.5 will fit on a 15x8 wheel 4.5" - 4.75" max backspacing.
Actually, 31 x 10.5 will fit on a 15x8 with 5.5" of backspace. I'm running that size on my stock Ravines right now with no washers on the steering stops.

To the OP, if the rims were stolen from the shop, then the shop should replace them with the same rim IMHO. That's what they have insurance for.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Actually, 31 x 10.5 will fit on a 15x8 with 5.5" of backspace. I'm running that size on my stock Ravines right now with no washers on the steering stops.

To the OP, if the rims were stolen from the shop, then the shop should replace them with the same rim IMHO. That's what they have insurance for.
Interesting, I rubbed at full turn locks when I first installed new 31x10.5 MTs on my OEM Gambler wheels. The Gamblers have 5.25" backspacing.

Jeep - your experience and results may vary...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shop should replace them - I learned after they are not a legit shop nor do they have insurance. Since my OEM rims were so hard to find (after 4 months of my jeep being there) he put on something that he thought would work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts