Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they angled like this for safety reasons? I'm curious why they are designed this way. Can't be for looks or comfort. lol

I did some searches for "fixes" and came across people who straightened them by bending the tubes. Does this effect the strength of the metal?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I think it is a safety requirement. You don't want whiplash if rear-ended or if the air bag goes off. I have driven some smaller cars that I ended taking the head rest off completely because it was tilting my head too far forward. Before I took the back seat out of my JK, I removed the back headrests because they blocked ~40% of the rear view. Rather be safe everyday instead of being prepared just in case there is an accident.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hate them. My head always touches them. It would be awesome if they were straight with the chair. I've been toying with the idea of getting one from the junk yard and seeing if I can cut the angle at the top of the 2 shafts up by the headrest and weld it back up.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I've read they are bent this way for safety reasons, but I still don't understand how/why.. No other cars/trucks I've ridden in have them bent this horribly uncomfortably, and those are still safe... I tried, and was not able to bend mine.. Tried turning them around and that was even worse..

·
Registered
209 Posts
They are for your safety in a rear end collision. Please don't modify them. They are actually called head restraints now, not head rests for a reason.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can someone explain why they would offer more "safety" than headrests (I'm going to still call them headrests) that are straight?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Can someone explain why they would offer more "safety" than headrests (I'm going to still call them headrests) that are straight?
No.. Some "internet experts" will try, but it won't make any sense.. There have been other discussions on this and the "experts" used a lot of words, but none of them made any sense nor could any explain why these horribly bent neck-breakers are any more safe than all my other cars with straight/comfortable headrests..

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
They are for your safety in a rear end collision. Please don't modify them. They are actually called head restraints now, not head rests for a reason.
uh huh.. So all of the other cars on the road aren't safe?
Please elaborate on exactly how these are more safe than the other 97% of cars & trucks with comfortable "head restraints"

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I guess one advantage to being short is that I don't notice the crappy headrests :D

either that or I'm just too busy enjoying the rest of the Jeep

Exco

·
Registered
209 Posts
uh huh.. So all of the other cars on the road aren't safe? Please elaborate on exactly how these are more safe than the other 97% of cars & trucks with comfortable "head restraints"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...at-the-top-of-car-seat-problems/#6057b8cb4ad5

They, NHTSA, changed the standards in 2009 to make them higher. You really think they would redesign them to more uncomfortable? As far as "internet expert," I'm not, but I can google anything to find the answer.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forbes Welcome

They, NHTSA, changed the standards in 2009 to make them higher. You really think they would redesign them to more uncomfortable? As far as "internet expert," I'm not, but I can google anything to find the answer.
Funny how the article's title has "headrests" in it and the ones pictured are straight.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Still makes no sense.. And does not explain why my other 2012 vehicle's headrests are nice and comfy..
But you are the first to actually link to any source, so I'll give you credit for that..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Still makes no sense.. And does not explain why my other 2012 vehicle's headrests are nice and comfy.. But you are the first to actually link to any source, so I'll give you credit for that..
Any fact I give, I'll link a source. Thanks for the credit. The reason I spoke up is because of safety. Anybody can do what they want and I can't stop them. My job everyday as a safety director for a fairly large construction company is to keep my guys safe. Teach them and encourage them to work safely to go home to their families. It's just my nature to speak up on topics like this.

Be safe everybody!

·
Registered
105 Posts
They suck BIG TIME.
Wish someone would have a fix to get them back a bit.
Hate them.
Have you tried reversing them? As in taking them out and flipping them so that the front part is facing the rear of the vehicle? That worked in my Nissan that I previously had. For some reason I have no problem with the head rests. They seem pretty far back for me and I have a 2015. Maybe it has to do with how far you recline the seat? I'm not "laying down" in my seat but it is slightly reclined back as opposed to being more straight up and down.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My first few days in my new Jeep I was asking the same thing, couldn't believe this was what they called a headrest. But I must admit I am more disappointed by the horn in out Jeeps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts