Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My '02 has been making some funny chirping noises on these cold mornings, sounds like a bunch of angry crickets in my front end. It use to go away after about 2 blocks, but it's been lasting a lot longer lately. I can go up wards of a mile before it goes away now. I don't think it's temperature related since I hear it when I leave work also. :banghead:

I've jacked the front end off the ground and spun each tire, and I don't hear anything. I lock the front lockers and spin both tires as a set, and I don't hear anything either. I've checked the diff fluid, and it's in good shape and at the proper level, and I've greased all of the grease-able joints in the steering system. Nothing has cured the problem.

Any ideas?

Jeeps mechanical stats: '02 TJ Sport 40k miles - ARB Lockers front/rear - OME 2.5" lift - JKS 1.25" & 1" MM lifts - Curry Anti-rock swaybar - Spidertrax spacers - stock rims with 33" KM2's

Edit: Ohh yea, I've pushed the clutch in at speed while it's making the noise, the RPM's drop to an idle but there is no change in the crickets, so I'm fairly certain it isn't coming from the engine.

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
Search "angry sparrows" your gonna have to replace the centering ball in your front driveshaft. I've got a case of angry sparrows also, and to prove it, pull out your front DS and I will bet it will go away

·
Registered
956 Posts
In the winter my distributor chirps,drove me nuts trying to find it.One day while at idle I pushed the rotor cap and it went away with pressure.....ya doesnt make sense but the distributor chirps

also my passenger seat chirps all the time

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did a 5 tire rotation on my TJ, and noticed that the brake lining on the driver front inside was a bit thinner than I'd like to see. So I just replaced the front brake pads. Took her for a test ride, and them crickets/sparrows are still there. I'm going to go out and pull the front drive shaft and see if she squeaks tomorrow. If not, I'll replace all 3 joints with new Spicer 5-785x, and the CV at the same time.

Interesting reading on those angry sparrows, never heard that term before. :Thanx:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Search "angry sparrows" your gonna have to replace the centering ball in your front driveshaft. I've got a case of angry sparrows also, and to prove it, pull out your front DS and I will bet it will go away
I pulled the front driveshaft last night. I took the Jeep for a spin this morning, and the chirping is gone. You nailed it! Thanks :thumb:

I'll rebuild the front driveshaft before stuffing it back under the Jeep.

:dance:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5 different auto parts stores and the dealer. Not one of them had any of the parts I needed. The auto parts stores just kept trying to push cheap chineese guarbage on me, and the dealer just didn't have anything.

So I ordered the parts on-line. I'll just run without a driveshaft awhile.

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
Ray - San Jose said:
5 different auto parts stores and the dealer. Not one of them had any of the parts I needed. The auto parts stores just kept trying to push cheap chineese guarbage on me, and the dealer just didn't have anything.

So I ordered the parts on-line. I'll just run without a driveshaft awhile.
Yeah I've heard they were hard to find, but I have a link for you, let me find it

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The parts came in Saturday, and I rebuilt the driveshaft on Sunday. Reinstalled the driveshaft last night. This morning, she was as quiet as the week without the shaft. All is right with the world again.

Thanks folks!

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
Ray - San Jose said:
The parts came in Saturday, and I rebuilt the driveshaft on Sunday. Reinstalled the driveshaft last night. This morning, she was as quiet as the week without the shaft. All is right with the world again.

Thanks folks!
What did it cost you?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$135 delivered for 3 U-joints (Spicer 5-1310X), and a centering ball (Spicer 211544X). Took me about an hour to replace them, and I did have to go buy a $6 C-Clamp. I couldn't see spending $69 for a U-Joint tool when a C-Clamp and a socket work just as well.

I did decide to place a re-order for 2 more Spicer 5-1310X U-Joints to rebuild the rear shaft too. Might as well do them all at once and keep things consistent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Where did you order from? So we need 3 u-joints? What size clamp and socket did you need? You had to I'll them all with grease, right?

Going to have to do this myself so any advice you can provide is much appreciated.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where did you order from? So we need 3 u-joints? What size clamp and socket did you need? You had to I'll them all with grease, right?

Going to have to do this myself so any advice you can provide is much appreciated.
My '02 TJ took 3 U joints and 1 centering ball for the front shaft, and 2 u joints for the rear. I used a 8mm 6 point socket, and a box wrench to remove the front drive shaft. I ordered from Northern Drivetrain because they had the best price and I didn't have to pay state tax. All my U joints are sealed (stronger), and they don't take grease other than what the factory applied. A good C clamp, an over sized socket, an 8mm wrench, and a pair of needle nose pliers is all you really need to do the job. I can't see spending $70 for a special tool when a $6 C clamp and a socket will do the same thing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Helpful thread! I am having a similar noise. I guess I'll pull the front shaft to know for sure.

Makes sense though, as I have changed every u-joint except the front shaft joints.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Not to sound preachy but if any of ya'll are running around with angry sparrows, pull that shaft off until you fix it, you see lots of threads and pics of my TC exploded all of a sudden with no warning. The warning is the sparrows!!!! There was one a while back about some dude who's Jeep flipped and rolled b/c the centering ball/u-joint broke and the shaft pole-vaulted his ass over tea-kettle. PSA over now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So you an cruise around without the front drive shaft no problem? That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure...will be a few weeks before I have the time and cash to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts