Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first Jeep 19 months ago and finally getting a build thread going. Money will inhibit the speed at which this progresses, but I'm always looking for ideas. The addons and mods list I have is constantly growing and has already well exceeded the original cost of the Jeep. I hope to save some money by doing things myself, but that takes time to learn to design, engineer and build it. I'm looking forward to this journey.

The end game for this rig is to become a complete customized off road only vehicle. I'm hoping to complete her transformation before she becomes a rust bucket. At the pace I'm going not hopeful.

She started as a plain 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport with 3:73 gear ratio.
I didn't take beginning pics so these I found on the web of my Jeep as how it started.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added Teraflex cb antenna mount.

A few lessons about wiring the cb coax like this. Scrape off the powder coating from the mount at the point of contact for the antenna. In the last picture cut back the opening in the jeep plastic. If you don't it will eventually cut into the coax and split it in half. This should ground the antenna to the Jeep. Test by using a volt meter. Once the coax is run to the front of the Jeep test the continuity of the cable first. You should not get a reading when you place a probe on the positive (single prong in the center) and the negative (the exterior of the connector). This will confirm you have a good cable. Then check the continuity between the positive of the cable and the negative of the 12v power adapter up front. This should return a complete circuit and thus signalling your antenna to be grounded.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'm enjoying following your build as well. The color of yours is fantastic :thumb:

I spent 9 months looking for a Commando Green, but couldn't find a manual. Then I saw this in person and it took me 4 days to place the order. The Jeep website didn't do this color justice.

Great choice of color :thumb:

Jeep is looking good!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upgraded the headlights and fog lights with Quadratech's Stealth LED lights. Got a package and a deal from Rick on here. Easy to install. Don't have pics of installation, but simply remove the grill, unplug headlights and replace. The grill is attached by some plastic screw/plugs and then just pulls off. Be careful not to pull to hard as the turn signals are still attached so you may want to try and disconnect them first. Installing the fog lights are a little more difficult. I was installing with stock bumper. Have to remove the fake plastic winch plate by pulling the 2 screws on top of bumper. Careful not to strip these as Chrysler wants $7 a piece. I found a clip house that could replace them for a lot cheaper. You may be able to disconnect the fog lights from here otherwise you'll need to remove the skid plate from under. They will be pulled out from the top. Then just plug back in the new lights.

Low beams

High beams

Low beams with fog lights

Had to take this picture as an HDR otherwise it was just a big ball of white light

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed Teraflex 0-3" disconnects. This really isn't meant for a stock 0" lift. May be different for a stock Rubicon or another model that might have a higher lift than a sport. It puts to much pressure on the pins for the disconnection and really prevents this from coming off and going on easily. Teraflex will ship a 10mm thinner pin that is supposed to remedy this, but I haven't yet tried it. Maybe this weekend. I'll update this post if it's better. Then I'll be able to disconnect the rear swaybar as well. Other things. Forget about the installation instructions of 75lbs of torque to install. Crank on it until it feels like it will break. Mine kept coming loose at 75lbs. Again this maybe because it's just a little bit to long for a 0" lift. Another issue with the stock height is that the disconnect bar is hindered by the swaybar from being cleared out of the way and connecting to the other pin to hold it. I plan on getting a steel cable to tie it there to hold it in place. Teraflex was great to work with in getting a resolution and the product seems very well made. I'd recommend the product.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The next upgrade is side steps. I like the poison spider and LOD the best because of the solid step. The LOD I'm leaning against because the frame is a tube and I'm not a fan of it. I plan on rhinolining the poison spider to give it some context to not be a smooth surface when stepped on. I like the LOD top plate better for this purpose. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd like to hear them.

So far the ones I want are the poison spider:
JK-4-Dr-Brawler-Rockers-Steel

My other top choices are:
LOD Jk-Signature-Series-4-Door-Rock-Sliders
Full Metal Fabworks 4-dr Vertex Step Slider

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed Teraflex 0-3" disconnects. This really isn't meant for a stock 0" lift. May be different for a stock Rubicon or another model that might have a higher lift than a sport. It puts to much pressure on the pins for the disconnection and really prevents this from coming off and going on easily. Teraflex will ship a 10mm thinner pin that is supposed to remedy this, but I haven't yet tried it. Maybe this weekend.
The thinner pins really make a difference. So much easier to take on and off after installation. Now I can try and disconnect my rear with the extra pins.

·
Super Moderator
15,509 Posts
The thinner pins really make a difference. So much easier to take on and off after installation. Now I can try and disconnect my rear with the extra pins.
:thumb:

I wouldn't worry about the rear, they don't limit travel like the front.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not, but I've got these extra parts that are begging to be useful. Who am I to deny them from being useful? :thumb:

:thumb:

I wouldn't worry about the rear, they don't limit travel like the front.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I save for the side steps, my next mods are going to be:
[ ] paint the dif covers to match
[ ] paint a/c vents, internal door handle and grab bar inserts to match, but paint the words black
[ ] fabricate a grill screen protector
[ ] paint grill screen protector to match
[ ] paint the grill black (until i can afford carbon fiber grill because I love the look of carbon fiber. (self thought - I wonder if they make a paint to look like it (self-self thought - will it look as good or crap if exists)))
[ ] get exterior door handle inserts
[ ] paint exterior door handle inserts to match
[ ] paint door hinges a midtoned black (don't want glossy, but think matte may be to flat)
[ ] plasti dip the wheels black, paint the center to match

for the painting I have to thank @Beergod, @Holly JR, @HardRockRubi and the guys at Dale's Auto Paint for the advice. Between all them I'll post what I've learned and the process I'll go through. Mostly because it's winter and I have to paint in at least 60deg weather and I don't have a garage. This will be my reminder.

From Dale's I picked up custom mixed aerosols to match, plastic adhesion promoter and a clear coat.

HardRockRubi suggested using a parasol product plastikprep. The problem with that stuff according to Dale's is that it goes on real thick. Thus losing any details and probably causing the parts to not fit correctly again. However there is a product that is similar that isn't so thick and comes in an aerosol. So the idea was solid.

For the internal pieces. Suggested to clean the parts with dawn soap and water. Scar the surface lightly with a scotch brite pad. Apply plastic adhesion promoter, paint, clear coat.

for the dif covers and other metal pieces - clean with acetone/brake cleaner, lightly sand with 320 grit at a minimum coarseness, paint, clear coat

perhaps my next mods should be something that can be done during winter and not something that requires a garage and warm weather. I'll just buy a house with a garage instead of waiting for winter to end. :happyyes: The wife and I have started the process, so it could happen.

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
While I save for the side steps, my next mods are going to be:
[ ] paint the dif covers to match
[ ] paint a/c vents, internal door handle and grab bar inserts to match, but paint the words black
[ ] fabricate a grill screen protector
[ ] paint grill screen protector to match
[ ] paint the grill black (until i can afford carbon fiber grill because I love the look of carbon fiber. (self thought - I wonder if they make a paint to look like it (self-self thought - will it look as good or crap if exists)))
[ ] get exterior door handle inserts
[ ] paint exterior door handle inserts to match
[ ] paint door hinges a midtoned black (don't want glossy, but think matte may be to flat)
[ ] plasti dip the wheels black, paint the center to match

for the painting I have to thank @Beergod, @Holly JR, @HardRockRubi and the guys at Dale's Auto Paint for the advice. Between all them I'll post what I've learned and the process I'll go through. Mostly because it's winter and I have to paint in at least 60deg weather and I don't have a garage. This will be my reminder.

From Dale's I picked up custom mixed aerosols to match, plastic adhesion promoter and a clear coat.

HardRockRubi suggested using a parasol product plastikprep. The problem with that stuff according to Dale's is that it goes on real thick. Thus losing any details and probably causing the parts to not fit correctly again. However there is a product that is similar that isn't so thick and comes in an aerosol. So the idea was solid.

For the internal pieces. Suggested to clean the parts with dawn soap and water. Scar the surface lightly with a scotch brite pad. Apply plastic adhesion promoter, paint, clear coat.

for the dif covers and other metal pieces - clean with acetone/brake cleaner, lightly sand with 320 grit at a minimum coarseness, paint, clear coat

perhaps my next mods should be something that can be done during winter and not something that requires a garage and warm weather. I'll just buy a house with a garage instead of waiting for winter to end. :happyyes: The wife and I have started the process, so it could happen.
Good luck on the Jeep... And on the house!

Let me know how dying the plastic goes (and products used)!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good luck on the Jeep... And on the house!

Let me know how dying the plastic goes (and products used)!
Dale's couldn't mix me up a dye for my color. Apparently the interior of vehicles is limited in the colors that are used. And intern that limits the variations that can be used to make a dye. Because the material of an external paint for metal and for a dye for plastic are different they can't mix the materials to get the right color. So my method is going to have to be to use that plastic adhesive promoter as a primer to get the exterior paint to stick to it. So it will be interesting to see how it works out. I'll list the products that I have when I get home.

·
Rube Goldberg
2,347 Posts
Dale's couldn't mix me up a dye for my color. Apparently the interior of vehicles is limited in the colors that are used. And intern that limits the variations that can be used to make a dye. Because the material of an external paint for metal and for a dye for plastic are different they can't mix the materials to get the right color. So my method is going to have to be to use that plastic adhesive promoter as a primer to get the exterior paint to stick to it. So it will be interesting to see how it works out. I'll list the products that I have when I get home.
Ah. Gotcha. I'm considering switching my bright silver accents on the Hard Rock out for the dull, muted charcoal accents that come on the sport, or dying them a nice red to match the Hard Rock accents.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah. Gotcha. I'm considering switching my bright silver accents on the Hard Rock out for the dull, muted charcoal accents that come on the sport, or dying them a nice red to match the Hard Rock accents.
Internal colors according to what I was told are generally dull and matte finishes. As long as the red you want isn't a bright or bold color you should be able to find a dye. You may have to do what I'm doing. Or maybe try a place that can custom mix colors other than a body shop. Let me know if you find some place that can mix different colors. Maybe a custom build shop like the West Coast Customs that mix their own paints. I probably should have thought of that, but I've got a working plan. If you want to do the dull muted charcoal, it won't matter what I paint underneath I'll trade with you.

The list of the products I've got is:
- standard custom matched exterior aerosol paint - brand was SEM custom Fill
- spray max 2K glamour high gloss clear coat - it's a 2 stage clear coat that when a seal is broken mixes a chemical to make the clear coat also harden upon application
- montana big sky plastic adhesion promoter SA225

1 - 20 of 28 Posts