Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just purchased a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport (4.0 w/ auto trans). I have noticed whenever I am going uphill or within a low throttle range in 3rd gear (45-55 mph and under 2k rpm) the whole jeep vibrates or shakes. It is not the death wobble as it does nothing to my tires, the whole jeep just vibrates and I can feel it more in the floorboard and seat than in the steering wheel.

I am thinking it could be an axle, driveshaft, or the transmission. The transmission pan is leaking a small amount of fluid but my level is full and the fluid is bright red and clean.

The funny thing is if I am going up the hill and push the throttle in a little more to accelerate the vibes go away and if I let off the throttle the vibes go away. It is just in the low throttle, to maintain speed up hill range where the problem is.

It doesn't feel like anything is breaking or rattling, and is not causing control issues, just freaking annoying. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
It is your OD and it is normal. I'm not sure about the 2001s but on my 06 I have an "OD off" switch in the center console below the stereo. Your OD is always on unless you switch it off manually. Unless I am driving on the highway, I turn it off.

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
I learn something new everyday. Sorry, but that is exactly what mine does when it is in overdrive and the rpms are too low. Hopefully someone else will chime in soon with an answer for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Driveshaft? Bad U-joint or the shaft lost a balance weight, those little metal tabs spot welded on the shaft. Bad slip yoke teeth, they wear in a coke bottle shape and become thin in the center. I've seen those things do it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The reason that your transmission fluid is "full, clean, and bright red" is that the previous owner was trying to fix the transmission problem. When he realized that it was more serious, he just decided to sell it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just checked the rear drive shaft, how much play should there be up and down. There is slight slight movement (under 1/32").

·
Registered
135 Posts
See if you can simulate the problem just sitting still and power brakeing it to the same RPM. Just checking to see if its in the engine, clutch fan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
May or may not be similar to an issue I had almost 2 years ago. It started out as just a mild vibration under uphill driving or acceleration. It became worse and even persisted after changing the u-joints on the main shaft. Finally, it was diagnosed correctly as the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
936 Posts
May or may not be similar to an issue I had almost 2 years ago. It started out as just a mild vibration under uphill driving or acceleration. It became worse and even persisted after changing the u-joints on the main shaft. Finally, it was diagnosed correctly as the front driveshaft.
The FRONT driveshaft?? In 2WD? Does the front shaft even turn in 2WD?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update... I recently changed the transfer case fluid and that seemed to really help the vibration. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Yes the front drive shaft turns all the time. Take your front drive shaft off to eliminate it as a problem. But since it vibrates under load would suspect rear drive shaft u joints.
Do you have a lift?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No lift. It almost feels like a miss in the engine, I changed the plugs and seafoamed the Jeep, but that didn't help. I will try to powerbrake the thing and see if I can replicate the vibes.

I do know I have 307 gears and 31" tires so I might be lugging the engine a little going up hill.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update for anybody who cares... I found the issue. I was experiencing torque converter shudder. I bought a tube of Dr. Tranny's torque converter shudder fixx and put it in the fluid. Problem was fixed instantly, this stuff is awesome and only 7 bucks.

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
Good to hear that you found the problem and were able to remedy it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Just an update for anybody who cares... I found the issue. I was experiencing torque converter shudder. I bought a tube of Dr. Tranny's torque converter shudder fixx and put it in the fluid. Problem was fixed instantly, this stuff is awesome and only 7 bucks.
I'm betting the Dr. Tranny Fixx was only a band-aid coverup to something that is probably more related to the engine lugging by trying to run it at too low of an rpm when you are trying to accelerate up a grade. Additives like that are also often bad news for automatic transmissions.

What size tires are you running and what axle ratio do you have? 3.73?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm betting the Dr. Tranny Fixx was only a band-aid coverup to something that is probably more related to the engine lugging by trying to run it at too low of an rpm when you are trying to accelerate up a grade. Additives like that are also often bad news for automatic transmissions.

How would a transmission additive cover up engine lugging?

I am running 31" tires with 3.07 gears.

If you research international lubricants / lube gard / Dr. Tranny Fixx, you will see multiple people on multiple forums who have nothing but good things to say about the product and many satisfied customers who claim it has fixed their problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts

So if the Jeep has 31's 3.07 gears & the engine is lugging trying to run at too low of an rpm when accelerating up a grade causing a shake/shutter then the solution would be to re-gear?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts