Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another alignment frustration thread

So I made an appointment yesterday with my local Jeep dealership to get my alignment checked and any adjustments that may be needed. I went by the dealership and talked with the service advisor directly and he confirmed that they could do the alignment including adjusting control arms.
So I dropped the jeep off this morning ( @815am), asked to speak to the alignment tech, after a few minutes 2 guys came out and we walked out to the jeep. Both young guys crawled under the jeep talked to each other then stood up and said – shouldn’t be a problem.
This afternoon @ 330, go to pick up my jeep.
Good News – Oil change at 3000 miles was successful and I have good clean oil !!
Bad News – Alignment couldn’t be completed and there’s no charge “ we did adjust your toe a little.” – Explanation – the alignment guys didn’t know how to adjust the caster – never done control arms here !! WUT !!!

More bad news --- We broke your plastic center hub piece on your Rugged Ridge XHD wheels WUT !!!

Kinda good news – we ordered you a new one and it will be here in 1 – 2 weeks.
Kinda good news – our new printer was broken so no alignment printout but I took a picture of the screen with my cell phone.
So – I’m here asking for assistance -- Can you tell it wasn't the most successful day .

Stats:
Metalcloak adjustable control arms x 8
Rock Krawler 3.5” coils
Front lowers set to 23 1/8” ( MC suggested 23 1/16” – RK suggested 23 1/8” - Stock 22 5/8”)
Front uppers set to 18 ½ (MC suggested 18 ¾” -- RK suggested 19 5/16 - Stock 18 ¾” )

Alignment PIC

Jeep drives straight and fairly good right now and I thought I was just about spot on and just went to get the alignment for a small adjustment but seeing this today evidently I’m way off – went and bought an angle finder because my smart phone app kept giving different readings ( maybe due to the cell phone case).

DO I need to adjust where the above picture the arrow is between 1-2 ? on the left side ? It looks like the "tic" mark is on "1" on the right side .

So do I just need to dial back the front uppers till the angle finder reads 4 or 5 – how do you guys fine tune to 4.6 degrees to 4.8 degrees?

Do I need to adjust the front lowers at all ? The wheels seem to be centered in the wheel well.

Do I just disconnect the CA at the axle count 3-6 rotations out – reconnect then remeasure ? and keep doing this until I have the 4 - 5 degree angle ?

I'm a pro at this point with removing , measuring and reinstalling, so i understand which points to place the jack under the jeep.

Any help ? – BTW Ive read the different threads on alignment on this forum as well as on WOL but still trying to understand it all -- Work in medical field so Jeeping mechanics and suspension work is all self learned via web ..lol

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think only a 1/4" addition would put it to Spec?
Any Idea why RK recommends 19 5/16" for the front Uppers?

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
So you think only a 1/4" addition would put it to Spec? Any Idea why RK recommends 19 5/16" for the front Uppers?
Good question, RK's uppers wont even adjust stock. I think the idea is to move the axle forward a little.
I needed about 23 5/8 lower and 19 1/8 upper (min) to get 3.5° caster.
I bought Synergy uppers to back in and raise my caster.

23 1/8 -23 1/4 is perfect for the lowers. Uppers adjusted to set caster.

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
I'd swim in the same pool... Lengthen the front uppers about 1/4".

What does the rear pinion look like?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't understand why 2 dudes would crawl under your Jeep while you're standing right there and tell u it shouldn't be a problem but go tell the service writer they can't do it later on, after u wasted how much ever of your day there. I know why... Because they're hourly employees that get paid either way. U find an employee that gets paid by the job on commission and gives a F ab doing the customer right because that's how he gets paid, then u may be able to get a good alignment performed that requires just a little bit more effort than a normal alignment. So basically you're paying for the electronic read out so u can go home with a decent idea and then go back and pay for 1 more electronic readout n hope to God u got it right so u don't have to go back a third. That last sentence was kinda sarcasm fyi. I haven't got mine aligned yet but I'm gonna give 4 Wheel Parts a shot 1st. Definitely not going to the dealer tho, my dealers "Main Mechanic" told me " I'd stuff 2 spacers stacked on the coil springs, stuff in some 37's n wheel the F out of it" LOL

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I know some people may flame for this but I love Firestone Lifetime Alignment. 170 bucks and you can go in as much as you want and they will adjust with no questions asked. Did this with my 3inch lifted Tacoma and same with my 3 inch lifted JK. Never had an issue with alignment numbers. Highly recommend them!

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I know some people may flame for this but I love Firestone Lifetime Alignment. 170 bucks and you can go in as much as you want and they will adjust with no questions asked. Did this with my 3inch lifted Tacoma and same with my 3 inch lifted JK. Never had an issue with alignment numbers. Highly recommend them!
I tried Firestone. Give then credit for actually taking my jeep in. He left all my clamps all jacked up and torqued to different specs. Steering wheel was still off center as well.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I tried Firestone. Give then credit for actually taking my jeep in. He left all my clamps all jacked up and torqued to different specs. Steering wheel was still off center as well.
That's the beauty take it again and get it corrected. We all know every shop has a few uneducated individuals happens in every profession.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Another alignment frustration thread

Jeep drives straight and fairly good right now and I thought I was just about spot on and just went to get the alignment for a small adjustment but seeing this today evidently I’m way off – went and bought an angle finder because my smart phone app kept giving different readings ( maybe due to the cell phone case).

Try giving the guys at Diezels Automotive in Lake Norman a call. I know he has installed a few MC kits, he even gave me a few tips on my install.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try giving the guys at Diezels Automotive in Lake Norman a call. I know he has installed a few MC kits, he even gave me a few tips on my install.
Does Diezel do alignments / have an alignment rack ? I follow LKN Jeepstyle on FB and planned to meet up with those guys several weeks ago at Uwarrhie but they arrived later in day while we were getting our campsite.
Met Diezel and hes a pretty cool dude.

BTW - I removed front uppers AGAIN this morning , remeasured and put them back at 18 3/4" The angle meter is now reading 1 degree to left - so maybe Im right there at 4.8 to 5
Ill post a pic of my rear pinion later.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Not sure if he has a rack or not but he would know who does. Yeah, I wheeled with those guys at Richland earlier in the summer then they came to Asheville and we took a ride to goat trail. (they just hit that again last weekend but alas, I was installing my lift) Great bunch of folks, maybe I'll run into you on a ride with them.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Does Diezel do alignments / have an alignment rack ? I follow LKN Jeepstyle on FB and planned to meet up with those guys several weeks ago at Uwarrhie but they arrived later in day while we were getting our campsite. Met Diezel and hes a pretty cool dude. BTW - I removed front uppers AGAIN this morning , remeasured and put them back at 18 3/4" The angle meter is now reading 1 degree to left - so maybe Im right there at 4.8 to 5 Ill post a pic of my rear pinion later.
:thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts