Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey at least I warned you!
I have a 03 Rubi with 31's right now. Im trying to decide on a way I can get some larger tires on until I can afford a 4 or 4.5 in lift. Will a BB clear 33's if I don't disco? Note that I have the "tomb raider" edition, so I have different fender flairs. Thanks guys

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im just asking because I understand the Rubicons have stiffer springs so I figure they have a less chance to rub the flairs on a trail?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Im just asking because I understand the Rubicons have stiffer springs so I figure they have a less chance to rub the flairs on a trail?
if anything.. 2'' bb and a 1'' bl

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if anything.. 2'' bb and a 1'' bl
If I do that, when I get a suspention lift in the future would they remove the BB and the body lift or just the BB? I really want to stick with a 33" set up without looking dumb

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
Just remove the BB. Here's a pic of my freshly installed OME lift with a 1.25" JKS body lift. Sitting on 33s. You'll have trouble wheeling 33s on a BB with nothing else. InfernoGirl has wheeled her's on 33s with a BB but she has trimmed her flares. (they are standard width flares though, so YMMV.)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just remove the BB. Here's a pic of my freshly installed OME lift with a 1.25" JKS body lift. Sitting on 33s. You'll have trouble wheeling 33s on a BB with nothing else. InfernoGirl has wheeled her's on 33s with a BB but she has trimmed her flares. (they are standard width flares though, so YMMV.)

Which OME lift did you go with? And their heavy or light springs?

·
Registered
738 Posts
The 2.5". They actually have 3 coil rates, mine are medium. :cool:
I am trying to decide between heavy and light :) I have the hardtop for winter which adds weight, but it is never on in the summer. Never gave much thought to the middle of the road maybe I should rethink that. How are they with the Hardtop on and Off?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts

:) That is one hot :firedevil: Barbie gold Jeep you got there Mr...... ;)

Meyers, my buddy JWM1986 had the heavy duty coils on his TJ and traded them out for softer coils. He only ran a soft top, and no winch so he didn't really need the extra duty, and they rode very stiff. I don't know that a hard top only is enough to warrant the extra, hard tops only weigh a bit over 100 lbs... not much more than a soft top and frame, or a lightweight passenger... ;)

OP, depending on your offroading usage, you can get by with 33's and a 2" bb. Trimming your flares will help, you'll still probably rub them if you disco. But if you tend to stay on road mostly, then you'll be ok. Before Mr. Unlimited comes in here and spanks me, I'll remind you that you simply must extend your bumpstops or all heck is likely to break loose..... :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does extend your bumperstops mean? I plan on taking it in to get whatever done. I dont have the tools or space and not to mention the patience to do it myself. I just want to get the BB with 33's until I can afford a better lift. I dont think I can trim my fender flairs though...

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
What does extend your bumperstops mean? I plan on taking it in to get whatever done. I dont have the tools or space and not to mention the patience to do it myself. I just want to get the BB with 33's until I can afford a better lift. I dont think I can trim my fender flairs though...
too bad.. a bb can be knocked out REALLY fast.. all you need is a air compressor, impact, spring compressors and a couple of sockets and a jack.. you'll end up paying a pretty penny to do something FAIRLY easy to do..

if your gonna offroad AT ALL.. you gotta do a 2'' bb and 1'' bl.. keep the bodylift if you ever do lift your jeep.. if you get a nicer lift kit later on you'll more than likely do a SYE.. then with the bl on you can do a tummy tuck

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
dewem007 said:
Here is a picture of an extended bump stop

Sorry its side ways . Its the piece on the right (thats actually the bottom front on the jeep

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is a extended bump stop something a 4x4 shop should know I need? Any idea how much I should expect to pay for the parts and installation?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
dewem007 said:
Is a extended bump stop something a 4x4 shop should know I need? Any idea how much I should expect to pay for the parts and installation?
Parts are cheap under fifty bucks. Installation not sure ,but its not a hard install

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I dont think I can trim my fender flairs though...
Trimming flares is easy...... Razor knife, chalk and half an hour is all you need, just mark 'em, score 'em with the knife, bend 'em in to break the plastic and peel em off..... ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
InfernoGirl said:
Trimming flares is easy...... Razor knife, chalk and half an hour is all you need, just mark 'em, score 'em with the knife, bend 'em in to break the plastic and peel em off..... ;)
Well I have the special edition flairs...I'm pretty sure they are untrimable

1 - 16 of 16 Posts