Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TF leveling kit on my 2012 JKU. She's pulling a little to the left so I took her to my local Firestone for an alignment. They called and said I need new caster bolts and cat alignment adjusters. Does this sound right?

Figured I'd ask the experts before letting them touch my Jeep.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would go elsewhere. There's no such thing as "Caster Bolts" or "Cat alignment adjusters" on a stock JK. I'm assuming you have stock suspension arms with your leveling kit so there should be no reason for your caster to be off to begin with (unless you have bent or worn components). The only alignment adjustments you have are front toe and steering wheel alignment. If anything else is off like camber, your ball joints are worn or bent and if you caster is off, your ball joints and or suspension arm bushing are worn.

Edit: this is assuming everything is stock other than the leveling kit

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool; everything is stock. I was telling myself not to go there, but I never listen to that little voice.

And thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
You should keep in mind that tires (the way they have worn) can have a significant effect on steering pull so if you do have a competent shop do an alignment, you may still have some pull, one way or the other. The alignment shop (if competent) may try rotating your tires to try to off-set the effect as much as possible.

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts
There have been times where the 2" in front has made the caster too low. Even the TF leveling kit changes the caster.

Did you get a printout from the alignment?

Either way, take it to a reputable off road shop since you now have questionable information... They'll tell you what your caster is and check everything out.

Cam bolts are not a good answer... Their cheap, unreliable and drill holes that require welding if you want to go back without them in the future. There are other solutions if you truly have a caster issue.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Their printout shows left front caster at 3.1 and right at 3.2.
Acceptable Range Caster Left Side 3.2 to 5.2, Right Side 3.4 to 5.4

I can see why they were trying to give you a little more positive caster. You said it was pulling to the left. Are you sure it wasn't after the lift? It changes your steering wheel center.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that noticeable until a month or so. I installed it late in 2013.

BTW, thanks for the wisdom.

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts
That caster is just below the desired minimum on each side, and even at the minimum, they aren't the best drivers... We like to hit 4 to 4.5.

Are you planning on leaving the leveling kit on for a while? It wouldn't make sense to put a lot of effort in it if you were planning to change the suspension before long.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the wife's daily driver. She has a hard enough time getting in it now, so I'm not raising it any further.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I high recommend you start by reading Kjeepers link above first.

As you can tell, you are just off the edge of the Caster angle specs. Some owners wouldn't even notice it but others are more sensitive to the feel of the steering. When you lift a Jeep the front axle rotates slightly counterclockwise as viewed from the drivers side because the control arms increase in angle as the Jeep is lifted. This rotation reduces the Caster angle and there are 3 ways to correct it with varying degrees of success.

1. Best - Ajustable length lower control arms allow you to fine tune the length of each arm independently and therefore the Caster angle but good quality arms may cost as much as your lift kit.

2. Possible option - AEV geometry brackets. They will lower your control arms back close to their original position which will indirectly change your Caster angle. The issue is they have fixed settings and the smallest is for a 2.5" lift. They may overcorrect in you case causing other issues. However then are only ~$100, will address other problems introduced by the lift and if they don't work you can always sell them on CL or this forum since they are very popular.

3. Worst - Cam bolts are a cheap fix but it requires drilling (permanent change) and the often come loose on an off-road vehicle like a Jeep.

Give that it's your DD, IMO your best option is #1 or maybe #2 if your budget is limited but stay away from #3.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, Firestone was was going the bolt route. As you suggested, the adjustable control arms is the way to go.

Again, thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
14,506 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
I know somebody selling a week old set of AEV geo brackets in the want ad section :)

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
There is another very viable option. Fixed control arms...

Teraflex has a set that is just slightly longer than stock for applications just like this.

In the post below, jadmt comments that he just ordered a set. You could PM him and find out where and how much... They will be much less than adjustables.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jeep-jk-caster-and-lifting-502001-13.html#post16799114
I can tell you that Tom at 4wd.com in the vender section will blow everybody's price away on TeraFlex stuff.

wait a week and I should be able to tell you how much of a difference the make.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts