Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to keep barraging the forum with repeated questions, but i need advice on what tire to get.

I spend a lot of time driving on the highway, and ive been looking around for a 33 inch tire that would fare me well on the trail

People have recommended duratracs, and i understand they are a great tire. But im reAding a lot of mixed reviews saying they are loud and wear rather quickly. Also, apparently in hot weather, since it is a softer tire handling is reduced?

If anyone can shoot me some recommendations of a good offroad tire that has a good tread life and minimal noise, it would be appreciated. My offroad use isnt very frequent so i need a tire that will be somewhat reliable and comfortable on the highway. Thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
You can't go wrong with BFG in my opinion, either the all terrain or KM2s, depending how aggressive you wanted to get. I've had BFGs on all my rigs other than the '04 Rubi which came with MTRs which I hated.. they wore out so quick I found. I also had an '85 Toyota 4runner on 35" BFGs and ran it to the cottage 3.5 hours from my house quite often, and never had any issues..

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've got KM2's on my Jeep and they ride fine to me. I have about 13k miles on them and you can't even tell. They have very low noise and the kick butt off road. I rotate them often though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ill take a look at the BFGs then... Can anyone with duratracs attest to their tires noise, tread life etc...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been running Duratracs now for about a year and have had no issues. Only issue I had initially was the dealer put about 38 lbs of pressure in the tires which made the jeep feel flighty. I lowered them to about 25 lbs and no prob. Personally I think the Duratracs are more quiet than the bfg were. Just my two cents.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
:rofl: Who the hell said the duratracs are loud? they should hear my MTRs... Duratracs are a great tire and I would strongly suggest them for a DD. If you plan on wheeling a little bit more, go with the KM2s.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ill take a look at the BFGs then... Can anyone with duratracs attest to their tires noise, tread life etc...
Go with Duratracs 285's (just under 33"). All the random wind, knocks, rumbles, rattles and clicks from your Jeep will surely drown out any road noise that the duratracs made (duratracs are well-known to be one of the most quiet tires with aggressive tread). You said you do not off-road often. Duratracs are fine offroad (tons of guys use em')...but where they really shine is on road.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You can't go wrong with BFG in my opinion, either the all terrain or KM2s, depending how aggressive you wanted to get. I've had BFGs on all my rigs other than the '04 Rubi which came with MTRs which I hated.. they wore out so quick I found. I also had an '85 Toyota 4runner on 35" BFGs and ran it to the cottage 3.5 hours from my house quite often, and never had any issues..
x2:thumb:

I have BFG A/T's got about 25k on them and I wheel hard. DD to work every day freeway and city 32miles round trip. But, with that said I am switching to BFG KM2's when I need new. Wheelin buddy of mine uses his as a DD on the coast, wine salesman, got 60K out of his last pair. They are also supposed to be killer off road.
I would stay away from pro comp tires. Another wheelin buddy only has 8k on his procomp MTR"S and they are falling apart.....not that but they also won't do anything about it and blame him for their tires falling apart.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why is it when it comes to a good tire hardly anybody mentions toyo mts
Because 'toyo' makes people think of 'toyota'...which then makes them think of 'foreign'....which then makes them think of 'china'...which then makes them think of 'poison in their dog food'....which then makes them think about their pet dying...

Don't think about your pet dying. Buy Duratracs :rofl:

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
If your on a budget try out Falken Wild peaks. These tires rides good and quiet as can be. I got it on my TJ and after having it seems like I replaced the shocks also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Because 'toyo' makes people think of 'toyota'...which then makes them think of 'foreign'....which then makes them think of 'china'...which then makes them think of 'poison in their dog food'....which then makes them think about their pet dying...

Lol. Well played sir.

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This post alone has convinced me to get duratracs :D

I was looking to get the duras in 275/70/18 or 295/70/18. Tirerack is selling the 275s with a rebate for right under 900 bucks. I suppose as long as you take of them right theyll last long (any dumbass can say they dont last if he doesnt rotate) and everyone seems to say the noise is minimal.

·
Registered
470 Posts
This post alone has convinced me to get duratracs :D

I was looking to get the duras in 275/70/18 or 295/70/18. Tirerack is selling the 275s with a rebate for right under 900 bucks. I suppose as long as you take of them right theyll last long (any dumbass can say they dont last if he doesnt rotate) and everyone seems to say the noise is minimal.
On a more serious note...I have to say that, even though I haven't actually purchased my tires/wheels yet (Getting Duratrac 315's)...I have been asking Discount Tire (a vendor here) a million and one questions. I want to give them kudos...they always, always are polite, quick to answer and extremely helpful. Their prices are always the best I can find too. Just thought I'd put that out there...I wouldn't buy until you check with them first...I'm willing to bet they will hook you up!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts