Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to read all the info on the dreaded Death Wobble to try and solve my problem.

I just recently realized, when I have the 33x12.5's on, no DW.
I'm running 215/75/15's on it right now to save $$ so I don't wear out my 33's so fast + for daily driving, and I get DW when I hit a RR track or dip at speed (35-45mph).

Would it be just because of the wider, heavier tire that it doesn't wobble (or it's a lot less and I don't notice) ?

Or could there be some geometry involved with the taller tires and alignment/suspension position ?

I know that my steering stabilizer leaked and is probably not 100%, but I have not gotten a torque wrench on any of the suspension yet to check for any looseness.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I've been trying to read all the info on the dreaded Death Wobble to try and solve my problem.

I just recently realized, when I have the 33x12.5's on, no DW.
I'm running 215/75/15's on it right now to save $$ so I don't wear out my 33's so fast + for daily driving, and I get DW when I hit a RR track or dip at speed (35-45mph).

Would it be just because of the wider, heavier tire that it doesn't wobble (or it's a lot less and I don't notice) ?

Or could there be some geometry involved with the taller tires and alignment/suspension position ?

I know that my steering stabilizer leaked and is probably not 100%, but I have not gotten a torque wrench on any of the suspension yet to check for any looseness.
same exact thing happens with my jeep.:confused:

bumpttt i wana know this too.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
chech your alignment / ball joints

if they are ok, i would look at an unbalanced wheel / tire on the 215s

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chech your alignment / ball joints

if they are ok, i would look at an unbalanced wheel / tire on the 215s
Had a trusted mechanic/tire/alignment shop do these things, after I had the new front tires put on mounted&balanced at another shop.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Most of the time deathwobble is caused by a track bar. then move to tie rods, and bearings. if tires are making it happen it most likley out of balance tires casuing the trouble.

Mouthfulofgrass hey do you know nick ( the owner of the bronco flopped on its side in your avatar)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
with my last set of tires I had a slight case of DW but I wouldn't say it was DW because it was nothing to bad like the Comanche was when I lifted it
ever since I put my new tires on that slight shake is gone
now if you do have DW does the jeep shake so bad that it feels like the hole thing is falling apart and you have to practically stop before it goes away if so then you have DW and you're steering geometry is not right (to high of an angle normally)
or you have some worn out parts
but since you only have it with those tires on I would say its the tires

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
All things being equal and when you are running one set you get DW at the same place and then not with the others. I'd say that the one set isn't truly balanced and the other is.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the time deathwobble is caused by a track bar. then move to tie rods, and bearings. if tires are making it happen it most likley out of balance tires casuing the trouble.

Mouthfulofgrass hey do you know nick ( the owner of the bronco flopped on its side in your avatar)
Yeah, I know Nick. I was in his Bronco that day and I was one of the guys helping to push it back on its feet.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with my last set of tires I had a slight case of DW but I wouldn't say it was DW because it was nothing to bad like the Comanche was when I lifted it
ever since I put my new tires on that slight shake is gone
now if you do have DW does the jeep shake so bad that it feels like the hole thing is falling apart and you have to practically stop before it goes away if so then you have DW and you're steering geometry is not right (to high of an angle normally)
or you have some worn out parts
but since you only have it with those tires on I would say its the tires
My description of it would be that it feels like my front axle came loose and is going to fall off, or my front wheels are going to fall off. Like as if the wheels were only on with one lug and that was loose. If I slow down immediately, it evens out and goes away.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All things being equal and when you are running one set you get DW at the same place and then not with the others. I'd say that the one set isn't truly balanced and the other is.
It may be that I didn't have the 33's on long enough to run into the situation where DW occurs.

So you're saying if I have DW, then it's likely that no matter what tire I have on it'll happen the same ?

I think I'll try switching the front and rear tires/wheels. They're different brands, I'll see if it still acts the same.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
how much lift do you have
check all the joints especially track bar
and put a new steering stabilizer on since it was leaking
you probably have a bad track bar joint but I would check both your tie rod ends and drag link ends and replace
or your steering is to steep of an angle

normally your track bar has a bad end it will let the axle shift under the rig

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
It may be that I didn't have the 33's on long enough to run into the situation where DW occurs.

So you're saying if I have DW, then it's likely that no matter what tire I have on it'll happen the same ?

I think I'll try switching the front and rear tires/wheels. They're different brands, I'll see if it still acts the same.
No, what I'm thinking is that if you are getting the DW with one set of tires and not the other then I would start with the tires that do cause it.

However that being said. You still need to check the front suspension points that Mr 4x4 told you about. Because if you have had the wobble then odds are somethings have loosened up.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,855 Posts
I guess I am going to go against the grain of what everyone is saying.

REGARDLESS of what tire you have on you shouldn't have death wobble. Unbalanced tires result in a shimmy in the steering wheel or quirky steering. Not death wobble. It has been my experience that with larger tires you normally run a smaller air pressure which allows more cushion. Might be enough to keep the death wobble at bay.

You have some other problem other than unbalanced tires. It is not your steering stabilizer. IT IS NOT your steering stabilizer.

You need to get under your jeep and see what is moving. Have someone work the steering wheel back and forth while the jeep is off. You will see the problem. :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mostly you guys are saying the same thing. Something is loose in my steering components.

Now I just need to enlist the aid of a co-pilot to work the steering wheel while I check on things. I'm sure my 11 year old will jump at that chance, I already told him the Jeep is his in 5 years.....

And, thanks for all the input, I'm GONNA fix this.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oooh ok i was in the silver TJ. Tell Nick we gotta get back out again. this time take your jeep too
Were you the dude with no doors and your sways duct taped ? I only remember the black Jeep who was leading, I can't remember how many others there were or what color. Aging brain. That was before I had a Jeep, or knew the difference between a YJ or TJ or CJ.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
that was me up front. I had a black hard top , that was chris with no doors. :D

we gotta hit up cleghorn again. now that im lifted

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that was me up front. I had a black hard top , that was chris with no doors. :D

we gotta hit up cleghorn again. now that im lifted
Yeah, now that I have a Jeep, I just need to make time to go with you guys again. I was going on that Gorman trip before the fires ruined it.

I'm trying to get out to Death Valley, soon. Too bad there's no long weekends between now and Memorial day, I'll have to make one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How many?

How many different sizes are you running? Or are they just different brands? Before I tried any other moves I would put the 33's in the same situation and try to make the DW occur.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had DW off and on until I put on dual steering stabilizers. Whether or not it's coincidence, I don't know - but I haven't had it since. . . 05 TJ, 33" procomp xt's, 3 1/2" rubi lift.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts