Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends.
I have read thru a bunch of search results and didn't really find an answer to what I am looking for.
I have mounted at the dash a Gps with a cigarette plug. a passport 8500 with a cigarette plug and want to mount my camera which has a usb power plug.
NOW. . I am trying to power all of these with out wires running all over the place. Is it possible to cut say both of these cables, ie the gps and passport and install a usb plug to each end and then I can mount a powered multi usb adapter up on the dash somewhere so that most everything is somewhat hidden. Not sure if I am making myself clear. Just want to power all 3 of these items with a minimum amount of wires running all over the place and the 2 cigarette plugs are huge. Any and all comments are welcome as I am just trying to clean up the dash
thanks
Michael

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I put a cigarette lighter socket on my dash for my Garmin. If you go this way, I'd put a plug-in dual USB adapter in the lighter socket rather than mount one of the dual USB marine adapters that fit the same size hole as a lighter socket does. Electronics go bad and the temps on my dash are in the 130~150 range this time of year, which is really bad for electronics. I've had the Garmin shut down from heat with an over temp alarm while on the trail.

Attachments

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Short answer. YES. Of course you can. The legacy 12V "cig lighter" plug should be thrown to the wayside, IMO. Unfortunately it is still a thing in cars, trucks, and boats.

Simply make your own mod to move the power to another place in your jeep, or move the jack itself.

Electrical stuff isn't as dangerous as you may have heard. Just be careful to not expose wiring to contact with other wires or friction from moving things against it, like doors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts