Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to start to fix some rust issues. Went to go take flares off and they look to be a pain. Are there any tricks to get them off? Seems to be a bunch of tiny bolts/screws? ALSO check out my temp floor fix!

image-1999328527.jpg

image-2447343717.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Air gun 3/8 drive with a socket and vice grips or good pliers for the nuts. Fastest way to go but it's not difficult more time consuming.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 hr to take off one front. Not hard but a pain. The pain is the 3 weird nut things on the small rocker flare. I just yanked then out. Couldn't get pliers to hold it still while I tried to get screw out. Def changing hardware when I put them back on!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just looked at the rear inner wheel well the wrong way on mine and it cracked to pieces. Be careful . . . Having a difficult time finding a replacement. :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Inner plastic fender wells break. Unless you are restoring you can remove it and just spray Bedliner in there. It costs the area flat black and the texture of the Bedliner helps with the Rick noise.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the look A TON better with no flares. As you can see, a little bit of rust to fix under them.

image-1932178912.jpg

image-3990733192.jpg

What do you all think, leave them off and fill holes? What other options are out there? Not spending $400+ on bushwacker...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Note to others attempting:

8mm socket and needle nose locking pliers work best. For the 3 bolts in the front quarter panel, just yanked and pulled until they came out. They are a pressed in nut set thingy, even when I held with pliers wouldn't budge. I guess you could have used some PB and let them soak, but I just yanked them out. Took me an hour for first front fender, but when I figured it out only took about hr and half for the final 3.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I personally think it looks better with the flares. Some states have laws against wheels extending beyond the fenders, so check before you drive it on the highway. In my area, there are usually guys selling the take-off flares fairly cheap on Craigslist, or look for someone parting out a Jeep.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
No fender laws in Michigan. :dance:

I'd say get a set of tube fenders. Cutting off that rust is a lot easier than fixing it. That's what I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts