Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 with a hard top and half doors (in the process of getting full doors). I have not seen any threads on any frameless soft top for the 88. I love the look and the ease of being able to be topless in no time. I remember seeing something about the old fastback top but can't really find anything on them anymore. I would change to a family roll bar if need be to fit one of the frameless tops.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
92 Posts
You'll have to go to a family roll bar to go frameless, nobody makes a fsatback framless top, I have looked all over for one myself, but I am sure someone will make one custom for you at a price!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 89 and just emailed softtopper to see if they had anything to offer. I have full metal doors on mine. Still have several months of winter to find something. I will post back here what they let me know.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Doesn't exist anymore. There was an option available years ago, but that's long gone. Best advice would be to get a family style cage from someone that has replaced theirs with a full cage or from a salvage YJ. I think I ended up selling mine when I went to a full cage for around $150. It's a direct bolt-on replacement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may stick with the hard top for a little long until some hot Texas weather comes in (which will probably be soon). I appreciate the help though, I emailed the austin jeeps guy and hopefully they're still in business I like that fastback style a lot.

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
86 Posts
cut and paste of the response I got from softtopper

Hi

We don't have a top for the 89 YJ's as you need the family style roll bars for our top to work.

We fit the 92-95 YJs.

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an email back from austin jeeps. All they have is one white and camp tops left. Looks like I'm just going to stick with the hardtop a while longer, and eventually get a family bar.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes... Easy bolt in swap too. I found some one to trade with and got my family bar as a straight swap with another Jeeper by posting an ad on CL.

·
Registered
647 Posts
word of caution, the swap is easy in theory. in reality your bolts for your roll bar are probably seized beyond belief, so be prepared to uses heat and a grinder.

·
Registered
507 Posts
PaulRevere1991 said:
word of caution, the swap is easy in theory. in reality your bolts for your roll bar are probably seized beyond belief, so be prepared to uses heat and a grinder.
True... I got lucky and only had to fight 1 bolt when removing mine, but helping the guy remove his to do the swap didn't go so easy. I think all but 2 bolts were seized... It was a real PITA.

·
Registered
507 Posts
jay_in_cgohio said:
Short of a full swap I see family bar kits available on the net. Would adding this allow me to use the frameless covers?
So long as they are exactly the same shape as the factory family bar and installed at the correct angles it would work. I considered this, but found the guy to swap with instead. If anything in your measurments is off, the top won't fit correctly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am looking for one of these tops also. I already have the family roll bar in my 92. The only thing i am lacking is the uppers for the half doors. would i be able to use half doors with these or do i need to get full doors. i have a hard top and thinking about getting the TJ uppers and doing the rear pin mod on them. any suggestions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am looking for one of these tops also. I already have the family roll bar in my 92. The only thing i am lacking is the uppers for the half doors. would i be able to use half doors with these or do i need to get full doors. i have a hard top and thinking about getting the TJ uppers and doing the rear pin mod on them. any suggestions.
So the TJ uppers will work on the YJ half doors? I have been thinking about getting some off ebay, but wasn't sure if they would fit right. At the moment I'm running regular YJ uppers on a hard top and it looks about half retarded but does the job.

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have the softopper on my 92 and I'm using 2 piece BestTop soft doors and works great

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have the softtopper with flat pannel upper hard doors. Has anyone used upper soft doors with the round corner, how does it do?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts