Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This will be my first Jeep (and vehicle in general) purchase. As I'm pretty young and somewhat practical, I'm looking to stay on the more affordable end of the Jeep market. Someday I'll own a nice new Sahara with saddle interior, but now is unfortunately not that time. I'm contemplating two options:

1. An '07 X Unlimited with 188,000kms (116820 miles) with manual transmission. It's the cheapest option on the used market in my area, at a whopping $15,800. It seems to be in fairly good shape, and the only modification visible to me is a larger size of tire. Link: DRIVE TIME OTTAWA : Vehicle Details

I've heard of big troubles with the 3.8L engine and oil consumption issues, but if it's made it to this many kms, I'd assume this issue has been addressed. Let me know if that's naive of me to say!

2. A new Jeep Sport, likely with a price tag of 30k with Air Conditioning and fees.

I'm certainly not opposed to doing my research and getting familiar with the mechanics of a Jeep, but in your experienced opinions, would a first-timer with little to no mechanical experience be biting off more than they can chew with the '07?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Price is on low end with what I'm seeing on KBB for that model and year - (around $12K USD v.s. $13K for the bluebook value) So thats a definite plus.

Just make sure the frame is solid - some surface rust is fine, but it shouldn't have any holes... If you can have it looked at by a Mechanic/Friend that would be a definite plus.

The oil consumption thing isn't really that big of a deal - you just have to add a quart occasionally - just check your oil every week or so and you will be fine.

As with any older vehicle - maintenance issues WILL be a factor - so I'd plan to set aside $100 or so a month to cover that. At that age things like brakes / rotors, water pump, thermostat and the like can start to act up... so set a few hundred aside to be prepared.

My 2008 Unlimited is just under 200,000 miles - and its still got original engine and transmission (automatic).

I just replaced the electric cooling fan over the weekend, and in the last year have replaced the thermostat, temp sensor, right rear wheel speed sensor and done some general maintenance as well. Also, my e-brake assemblies are completely rotted out and I gutted the drivers side as that is what took out the speed sensor - metal fragments inside the drum... I haven't had a chance to replace it yet, but I'm not in a hurry since I never use the e-brake...

None of these jobs took more than an hour and were done in my driveway with just basic tools... also - none of these are any "big deal" by themselves, but they can add up if you are having the work done at a shop...

If you don't want to work on your vehicle, I would pass. If you are handy and don't mind getting your hands dirty - its a good price on a solid Jeep - you will learn a lot and can save yourself a lot of cash working on it yourself.

·
Administrator
16,969 Posts
My answer is dependent on IF you're financing. I could never recommend someone finance $15,800 on a vehicle with 116820 miles. Things will fail on the Jeep and if you're already maxed out on a payment that will put you in a very bad position.

So IF you're financing go with option 2 IMO..
Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Last September we bit the bullet and got a new '15 JKU Altitude, absolutely loaded with 5 speed auto, leather, nav, rock rails, max tow, birdbath hood, and you name it for a very reasonable price. If you shop around for a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited you should be able to find some new '15s at a very fair price too. Then you can take your time, enjoy the rig, and slowly outfit it to suit your exact needs. Some dealers, if they don't have exactly what you want in stock, might even shop around in To or Montreal to find one for you. It's worth a try. So, best of luck and let us know what you get. - Ted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts