Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: I'm afraid the DRIVER has to be aware of his/her surrounding, no matter what the vehicle is-

If you're going thru grassy/foilage strewn fields, you must be aware of the heat from cat converters/mufflers/pipes-yes the jeep will go just about anywhere, but it won't dodge rocks and it won't stop a rollover and it won't put out it's own fire-

The hot tranny oil danger, has been acknowledged and circumvented by drivers now for over 4 years and finally Chrysler is notifying owners of a "dash notice" of danger-

I hear that in some states dealers are installing aux coolers FREE

Checkitout

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
That woman is an idiot. All SUV's are subject to fire if something flamable is in contact with the cat. They all have warnings in the manuals. Didn't anyone watch the Sopranos episode when the Xterra went up in flames?

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
I had hemmeroids do that one time. Didn't make the paper though.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Reading about this actually reminded me to go out and get a kiddie fire extinguisher for my Jeep. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like they cooked the tranny and it boiled over. How long did they toast it before they gave up on the retrieval? Everything has it's limitations. Ditto on the extinguisher!

·
Registered
167 Posts
It took the FD an hour to put out the fire? What was burning? Everything? This sounds strange I have had 3 Jeeps and NEVER had one burst into flames...I have smelt my cat burning grass, but one usually gets the Jeep off the high grass or back on the road. Even then the grass never burst into an inferno!

·
Registered
52 Posts
That woman is an idiot. All SUV's are subject to fire if something flamable is in contact with the cat. They all have warnings in the manuals. Didn't anyone watch the Sopranos episode when the Xterra went up in flames?

didn't she mention that she was in a wet field? it is implicit for one to think that the aforementioned field was made wet by water..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do the new jeeps have tranny coolers? Seems like that would be a great investment if they dont have them. I checked the NHTSA site and there are several complaints about the overheating transmissions.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
didn't she mention that she was in a wet field? it is implicit for one to think that the aforementioned field was made wet by water..
Grass jammed into the frame gets dried very quickly by a hot exhaust. They didn't burn down the field, the burned down the Jeep.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: All the 07/11 JK's with an auto tranny come with A/C and an (anemic)-

Do the new jeeps have tranny coolers? Seems like that would be a great investment if they dont have them. I checked the NHTSA site and there are several complaints about the overheating transmissions.
Circulation cooler based at the bottom of the A/C Condenser-

It's not ADEQUATE for the tranny under load ie-hills/sand/towing and the only times the DEALER has installed an aux cooler has been after a JK auto has either "toasted" or been towed to a dealer with tranny overheat problems [email protected]!

Otherwise the customer (You and I) have added our own aux cooler-

There is a Recall (J30), but this only adds a dash warning light "HOT OIL" icon-now that may be changing at this time, where the dealers are adding aux coolers FREE, on report of tranny trouble-I've only read about this in other forums-

Ya lays yer money and ya takes yer chances !!

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Do you have any supporting evidence to back up that claim? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think I'm going to start keeping a bag of marshmallows in the jeep right next to the fire extinguisher. So if my tranny gets angry hot and the extinguisher fails to put it out I can have a little treat while I call the insurance company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had posted a thread about the hot oil problem a while back. Like I said before I was not happy with the recall and what it would not fix. The problem is the trans over heats, and putting a chime thats lets you know you have a broblem is nut's. I call Chrysler and talked to them and I was told to get an oil cooler and they would pay me back. I went to Uhall and got one installed for under 150.00 dollars. The dealer wanted 700.00 dollars. Chrysler told me the warranty is not effected by this add on only the cooler because it is not from chrysler. Hope this helps. By the way I'm still waiting for the check, but it's only been a short time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the "HOTOIL" light go on today while on the beach. Was definitely my fault though, giving it too much gas and not moving enough. I ended up just popping the hood and letting it cool off for a few minutes before I took off again.
I just got an oil change yesterday too, that hopefully saved me from destroying my oil too quickly.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D It's a good thing that you shut her down, but

I had the "HOTOIL" light go on today while on the beach. Was definitely my fault though, giving it too much gas and not moving enough. I ended up just popping the hood and letting it cool off for a few minutes before I took off again.
I just got an oil change yesterday too, that hopefully saved me from destroying my oil too quickly.
The "HOT OIL" warning light, has nothing to do with your engine oil !!

So your oil change was not associated withit, unless you had your Auto tranny FLUID flushed and changed !!

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
If you were in 4 Hi, you should always turn ESP off when driving in sand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see the recall is for 07-08 JK's, do 09's have the light already? i just got mine and it hasn't had anything done to it and no recalls out on it now. It's auto with AC.
I'm taking a long trip through the mountains in april and am thinking of putting a tranny cooler in.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts